How big is too big?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ridgewood

Oct 21, 2018
Westchester, NY
So I'm finally pulling the trigger on my first wood insert - where it's primary purpose is for ambiance and as a secondary heat source for the Living Room.

My goal is to fill the existing fireplace as much as possible with the insert, allowing for the largest viewing area and the smallest surround.

My concern is that I don't want to over power the room with too big of an insert. Should this be a concern? The three inserts I was thinking of were the Osburn Inspire 2000, VC Montpelier, or the Jotul 550.

I've attached both the measurements of the fireplace and my house floor plans (fireplace circled in red) which hopefully will help with some advice.

Thanks everyone - really appreciate the help!

-Mike

Attachments

• fireplace measurements.pdf
    159.7 KB · Views: 125
  • Floorplans.pdf
    79 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
I'm not really familiar with inserts . . . but bumping this to the top so you get some more opinions.

OK,

The stores around me push lopi and napolian.

I am in the exact same boat as you. I signed a contract for a large flush mount hybrid insert with Lopi. The dealer does custom paneling and I have a corner fireplace so I kind of had no choice but to go with the Lopi insert... but I have read a lot of good stuff about them.

Everyone told me to go BIG when I questioned the size of my place and the heating capacity of the stove. They told me if it gets to hot just run it with less airflow for a lower flame (this can cause the window to get dirty with ash but it can be cleaned). I have about 1800 sf.

How big is your home?

There's no such thing as too rich or too big. Fill that fireplace up, you can always build small fires in a big stove, but it's really hard to build big fires in a small stove. Dont worry if someone tells you small fires arent effecient in a big stove. Plus, you can always open a window, should things in the house get too warm.

Do lots of internet research regarding the available inserts, dealers almost always have an agenda, it may or may not align with what is right for you.

Reactions: blacktail
Inserts are MUCH easier to control heat output. You can control it via the primary air control and the fan. With the fan OFF you will only get the heat radiating through the glass and any other radiant heat off the front of the unit.

I'd go with the largest unit that you can fit. You'll get longer burn times and it just makes it easier to load. My 2.2cuft firebox can be a pain to fully load due to it being shallow in height and the firebox goes from 25inches wide in the front to something like 18-19inches wide in the back.

You should run away from the VC. The 550 is a very good insert and I know nothing about Osburn.

I can make my 550 purr along with lite loads and do it often or if needed I can let it rip. The glass cleans up with just a few swipes of a moist paper towel dipped in some wood ash then wiped clean. It takes longer and more effort to walk to the kitchen and back.

You should run away from the VC. The 550 is a very good insert and I know nothing about Osburn.

I can make my 550 purr along with lite loads and do it often or if needed I can let it rip. The glass cleans up with just a few swipes of a moist paper towel dipped in some wood ash then wiped clean. It takes longer and more effort to walk to the kitchen and back.
The montpilier is actually a very good insert. I would not shy away from it for any reason other than price.

From your PDF if I'm reading it correctly, your hearth extension height is 0" (flush with the floor). Under 5" of hearth extension height means you'll need 16" hearth extension from the glass of the door. Some models require 18"+. Depending on the hearth extension depth you've got will determine if you can do an insert that sticks out past the face or if it needs to be flush. If you have to go with flush, I will give you my biased recommendation to get a CI2600/HI400. If you can stick out a few inches there are plenty of options that I otherwise would've looked at, BK, PE, etc.

The montpilier is actually a very good insert. I would not shy away from it for any reason other than price.

Respectfully, I wouldn't think about a VC ever again. They burned me once and won't ever get the chance to do so again. I wanted an enamel stove so my options were limited but I'd have a hard time giving up my Jotul 550 insert that's close to the same price point. For black stoves there are some many options.

Respectfully, I wouldn't think about a VC ever again. They burned me once and won't ever get the chance to do so again. I wanted an enamel stove so my options were limited but I'd have a hard time giving up my Jotul 550 insert that's close to the same price point. For black stoves there are some many options.
I know exactly what you are saying and i will never buy one. But i have to admit that insert is a good stove

We have installed 2 zero clearance units, heat and glow northstart and pacific energy fp30. Never our primary heating method but still a workhorse through winter. They do get things warm but we have no problem cracking a window or wearing shorts in the winter.

Will that vent up through the closet upstairs?

Inserts are MUCH easier to control heat output. You can control it via the primary air control and the fan. With the fan OFF you will only get the heat radiating through the glass and any other radiant heat off the front of the unit.

Say... what? Never had any issues controlling heat output from my freestanders. And, yes... I can control the fan speed on them, too.

Say... what? Never had any issues controlling heat output from my freestanders. And, yes... I can control the fan speed on them, too.

I'm not going to argue with you.

I'm not going to argue with you.

Not asking for an argument, just an explanation on your statement, “Inserts are MUCH easier to control heat output.” Are you saying you have experience with both, and if so, which specific models?

Going on my 10th season with my Montpelier and its been trouble free. It's a great insert for me. I hope you enjoy your Jotul as much as I enjoy my Monti!

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Decided to go with the Jotul 550 cf - and should have it installed mid December.
What color did you get?

I got the black C550 CF - Price (not installed) $3,549

The matte black finish looks good. My buddy has it on his wood stove. The price isn't that bad from when I bought mine a while back. It's a ritual to have the first break in fire with the shipping crate it comes in.

The matte black finish looks good. My buddy has it on his wood stove. The price isn't that bad from when I bought mine a while back. It's a ritual to have the first break in fire with the shipping crate it comes in.

That is fantastic - Love this idea and will definitely be doing it!