How common are rewelds?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_guad

Jan 6, 2006
No Va
All,

I have to send a my brand new stove back for a simple reweld but, including mine, this is the third time I've heard of this happening. Does anyone have a feel for how often this occurs?

I don't think it's too often of an occurance. In 6 years I've seen one stove go back for a reweld. It's bound to happen though with all the stoves that are made.

I suspect it may become more common as high fuel prices have caused a rush on stoves. Manufacturers are probably running full bore just to keep up. Slap together four walls, a top, and a door then send it out!

Corey

the_guad said:
All,

I have to send a my brand new stove back for a simple reweld but, including mine, this is the third time I've heard of this happening. Does anyone have a feel for how often this occurs?

Almost never!

In my 20 years as a retailer, I would say perhaps 1-3 times and I hardly remember even that. Of course, I sold Avalon!
(and Old Mill) as my steel lines.

Pi$$ poor welders . The up in sales this past year i would think brought in extra people that didnt know there stuff working on stoves. Anybody can weld but not every body can do it right.

In my case, they just missed the welds altogether. They tacked a piece in place and didn't weld it. It's very strange that the welds aren't QC'd (QA'd for some). You can see the pictures of the missing welds in my other post about the Outside Combustion Air for the Hampton. I would tend to agree with you though Roo. They're probably busy and brought some new people to do the last welds.

Just tacked but not welded? Time to either hire a QC inspector or fire the one they've got. Considering the costs involved in re-shipping and disgruntled customers, somebody ought to be in the hot seat over that.

I'm pretty sure that's what happened based on my limited American Chopper watching welding expertise. I posted pictures in my other thread for those welders out there that wanted to look. Needless to say, I was surprised too. I'm just glad that the piece didn't fall on the masons hand when it fell off.

Status
Not open for further replies.