How do I actually install my stove pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

williaty

Jan 12, 2015
Licking County, Ohio
I'm installing my first chimney with Excel Class A and UltraBlack stove pipe from ICC. The ICC instructions are mostly a list of ways to inadvertently set your house on fire and don't contain much about how to actually assemble things. My install is through a cathedral ceiling. There's a 17' straight shot of stove pipe between the top of the stove and the ceiling support box. I'm at the point now where I need to actually install that stove pipe.

Should I try to build the pipe stack from the bottom up (which would be weird to do as the bottom section is the adjustable section) or do I hang the pipe from the ceiling support box and work my way down to the stove?

With 17 feet of pipe it's at least a two-man job. It's gonna be heavy.
so you might want a couple more guys & more than one ladder.
You can assemble everything on the floor & lift it into position.
Leave the adjustable (slip) section collapsed to shorter than you need it & at the TOP.
Once the lengths are screwed together with three screws at each intersection,
stand it vertical & set it on (and IN) the stove flue collar.
Two guys on ladders can then line it up to the ceiling support box,
while one guy pulls the slip section in place.
Once its fully extended, the final fasteners in the slip up top can be installed.
Others may chime in now, with other ideas, but that's how we did tall connector
pipe installs when I was in the field...

Last edited:
Should I try to build the pipe stack from the bottom up (which would be weird to do as the bottom section is the adjustable section) or do I hang the pipe from the ceiling support box and work my way down to the stove?
17 ft is a long stove pipe. Hopefully you will be working with a helper or two. I'd start at the bottom with the rigid length's weight supported by the stove and put the adjustable length at the top.

Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 10.59.29 AM.png

I'd start at the bottom with the rigid length's weight supported by the stove and put the adjustable length at the top.
I guess that is assuming that he will be able to sweep down into the box and easily remove the sweepings?

That's a lot of weight to hang off the chimney adapter. Don't know the stove yet.

Woodstock Ideal Steel. Does it actually matter for the question I asked, though?
I was just wondering how the chimney would be swept. Maybe with the IS you can just brush down and easily remove the debris, I don't know.

Woodstock Ideal Steel. Does it actually matter for the question I asked, though?
Yeah, it's a matter of how the flue will be cleaned in the future. Looks like with the front lid lifted there may be room to put a narrow nozzle tool in to vacuum out the soot and sote if brushed from the top down. Paging @JA600L for verification.

I've heard (though I can't check because mine is pushed up against a wall right now and I'm not man enough to lift it on my own) that there's a port on the back for a rear-exit option for the chimney. I wonder if you could clean it out through there?

I built mine from the bottom up, left all the screws out. I was close enough in length that I was able to install it without the sliding pipe and adjust the ceiling box to fit. I already had a 4' by 8' hole in the roof from the masonry fireplace removal, so it was easy to test fit everything first. Once I was happy with the way everything fit in I bolted it all down. With my stove (hearthstone Heritage) I can sweep with out taking the chimney apart.

there's a port on the back for a rear-exit option for the chimney. I wonder if you could clean it out through there?
Give Woodstock support a call for this question.

Yikes. I have just 10 feet of single wall above my NC30 but put it up by myself. Started at the bottom and put the slip at the top.17' is just a couple more sections but double wall is very expensive and heavier.

So the answer was bottom up.

Why?

You can't screw ICC UltraBlack stove pipe to the ICC cathedral ceiling support box. You MUST build it from the ground up and that means it's easiest to put the adjustable section at the very top.

Status
Not open for further replies.