How do I attach cast iron legs to a stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowbunny

Sep 13, 2008
NJ
I have an old Comforter stove with no legs. I found some legs that would fit, but not sure how to attach them. There are holes in the top of the legs to screw them in, but no matching holes on my stove. Is welding the only way perhaps?

Was the old stove set up for a pedestal? Sounds like you'll need to improvise. Do it safely. The last thing you want is for a hot stove to suddenly lose its pinnings.

Are the legs you found made to be under that particular stove, or were they originally from some other application? I'm not familiar with the stove, is it cast iron or steel plate? My first reaction is that welding would not be the optimal procedure, rather a mechanical (threaded) fastener. May require drilling through the bottom of the stove. Be careful. Rick

Yes, I was thinking that for each leg, welding a small, square plate to the underside of the stove, with a nut welded onto it might be the safest method. I'd use a 5/16 bolt nut combo on a pre-drilled 2"x2", 1/4" plate. Would that pass your inspection Rick?

That would work, certainly. Wouldn't give a lot of purchase for the bolt, wouldn't be a particularly strong connection. Depends on what the bottom of the stove looks like, and how the legs are formed...and, of course, what you want it to look like when it's done. If the bottom of the stove's just flat steel, then I might be inclined to have four little square plates made of steel about 1/2" or 5/8" thick, drilled & tapped to receive the leg fasteners (use the largest diameter bolt the legs will accomodate), and welded onto the bottom corners of the stove. They could be radiused & painted, and look like they belong there. That would make for a stronger connection than welding a nut and having only that thickness for the fastener to screw into. Wish I could see the stove & the legs, though... Rick

Thanks. I thnk I'm just going to forget these legs - probably too much trouble. My stove has a one threaded hole under each corner about an inch or so away from the sides. So I reallly need legs with just one hole on the top to bolt in. The ones I have look like they are made to be screwed or bolted into the edge of the stove on the bottom. Thanks for your replies, but I think I'm not going to mess with this!!

The absence of any means to bolt on legs or pedestal might indicate that this model is a fireplace insert, not intended (and most likely not listed) for free-standing use. If that is the case, a potential future dispute with your insurance adjuster over a fire claim might find you without a leg to stand on.

[edit] Was typing this response at the same time Snowbunny was revealing the existence of bolt holes in the post above. Going to leave it, though, because I really like the leg to stand on part.

Tom

I liked it too, Tom. Thanks for leaving it up. Still chuckling. Rick

Welding plate steel to cast is tricky, it can be done but it is tricky (also requires the use of nickel welding rod). bolt them on if you have access to a welder then you should have access to a drill and bits. even if you have to use carriage bolts under the fire brick just my 2 cents.

There are definitely some tapping (threads) in the bottom of that stove - probably 1/4" or 5/16", which are designed to take the legs. You can probably buy the original legs - but they will cost big.

The usual way the stock legs attached was through either an oversized cast or drilled hole in the leg - or it was sometimes just a slit, and then a large washer and the bolt. You can probably modify a set of legs with similar properties - as long as you somewhat know what you are doing. You certainly don't want the stove to fall over once it is burning!

Attachments

• Picture 15.png
    Picture 15.png
    140.3 KB · Views: 248
Yes, I'm going to look for some similar legs. Don't know where I would get original legs. I have not been able to find any. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.