How do I change settings on USSC 6039

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rosco6039

Jan 14, 2015
Bad Axe, Michigan
I have a 6039 with four button panel. I reset my settings back to factory accidentally and can't find the forum I use to use. I need to increase my feed rate. Any other tips for this stove would be appreciated. Don't seem like I get very good heat from it. I clean thoroughly. The air coming out, measure in the center with oven thermometer only reads 200 and stove is running on 9. Thanx for any help!!

Should be someone along with the needed knowledge. That design cleaning entails using a hammer sometimes:) Exhaust path behind the firebox is a pain.
Welcome

here you go. Remember if you adjust feed rate chances are you will also need to adjust the air.

Attachments

• Feed and air adjustment on 4 digit.pdf
    418.5 KB · Views: 1,537
Any suggestions on settings? What should the draft speed be set at with feed rate at 6.50 pph.
Hey, heads up...Your 6039 WILL NOT do much over 6.25other than waste pellets! On the 4 button board, the High end PPH is designed for HR8 or more. Here's a tip that "Sidecarflip" has given me...when he gets here you can thank him. He's a 6039 guru. Has been running them for over 15 years. Knows every nook and cranny. SUPER good dood! Owen Works for USSC, he can get you ANY info you want. Manuals, etc etc. HE's a good dood too. Anyhow, about that tip.

If you run anywhere from HR1-5 use the auto mode for draft fan. If you use HR6-9, push the Draft Fan Setting to DF-9.
Put your Room fan on 9 and run it there all the time.
Run your agitator in auto (thats the auxilary button)

I suggest (BUT THIS IS just how MINE runs..) you put your PPH at 5.50 and try that for a while. on HR-6 on my old 6039 with no bottom damper, i got 250 at my thermometer. Thats dead center of vents, with magnet on very top lip so that it gets direct air. It keeps my dumpy ole house well into the 70s even on single digit nights...and my house is ABOUT 1750 sq ft of living space, 2 stories. (upstairs stays in either high 60's, if not 70-71)

SOMETHING ELSE to remember, might be type of pellets too..throw some corn in. lol

If you run anywhere from HR1-5 use the auto mode for draft fan. If you use HR6-9, push the Draft Fan Setting to DF-9.
Put your Room fan on 9 and run it there all the time.
Run your agitator in auto (thats the auxilary button)

lol
SidecarFlip is an excellent source of info on the 6039...so I would go with that as well. By running it on 9 you are basically running the draft fan at 100%. No a thing wrong with that if that is what is needed. There was an old saying that use to come across these board from time to time...."Individual mileage may vary"

Reactions: mustangwagz
SidecarFlip is an excellent source of info on the 6039...so I would go with that as well. By running it on 9 you are basically running the draft fan at 100%. No a thing wrong with that if that is what is needed. There was an old saying that use to come across these board from time to time...."Individual mileage may vary"

WOW, I consider that the ultimate compliment coming from an employee of USSC, my head is inflating, I'll have to get a bigger sock hat..... Thanks._g

I have very few issues with mine, most of my issues (which are few) can be traced back to my stupidity.

I consider the 6039-41's basic stoves with good adjustability to cover a wide range of operating parameters at an excellent price point.

They are a bit of a PITA to clean the fly ash from behind the firebox wall (as Bioburner aptly states) but a good bottle brush on a twisted wire handle does an excellent job of getting the fly ash out. The one thing I'd like to see modified, is the round cleanout hole on the back wall on the right side lowered to align with the CA passage better. That would make cleaning of the passage easier. Thats about it. Everything else is spot on IMO.

Keep 'tm clean (stove and venting) and they run fine.

Additionally (and I believe Owen will agree), you don't want to push the fuel feed (PPH) much above 6. There is really no point because the stove isn't capable of efficiently combusting that increased amount of pellets efficiently, no matter how much combustion air you give it.

Like putting a 4 barrel carb on your lawnmower. You can do it but it won't run very well.

IOW, your mileage will vary but you only can input so much fuel and still be efficient. After all, it's a space heater not a central furnace.

Additionally (and I believe Owen will agree), you don't want to push the fuel feed (PPH) much above 6. There is really no point because the stove isn't capable of efficiently combusting that increased amount of pellets efficiently, no matter how much combustion air you give it.

Like putting a 4 barrel carb on your lawnmower. You can do it but it won't run very well.

IOW, your mileage will vary but you only can input so much fuel and still be efficient. After all, it's a space heater not a central furnace.

Right the ideal combustion rate is 10-12 Lbs of air for every pound of fuel. so at 6# of pellets you are trying for 70# of air. even if the draft fan is able to delivery that quanity of air to the combustion chamber the heat transfer eff. will be lower. The reward for burning that amount of fuel suffers. At some point the amount of BTU's transfering to the area you are trying to heat levels off regardless of what you dump into the burnpot, cost/reward lowers.

EVL is a factor on the exhaust fan settings. We had a stove issue fall before last an come to find out the EVL was way out there.

Your terms are much more eloquent than mine...... I just know from actual experience that pushing past 6PPH does nothing but consume pellets or pellets and corn without any real gain in heat output and I can't see that. This is all about being frugal (cheap) not pissing away money or fuel.

I have the capability of moving more air through my unit than most owners do because I run a 20 foot high 4" vent pipe and my CA fan blade isn't the factory one and I run a cold air kit with the blanking plug pulled...., but, even with the draft slide pulled out all the way and the stove sounding like the business end of an F4 on burner, I really don't get much more realized output than I do below 6pph with the slide almost closed and I get a lot more mileage on fuel consumption.

Reactions: Owen1508
Your terms are much more eloquent than mine...... I just know from actual experience that pushing past 6PPH does nothing but consume pellets or pellets and corn without any real gain in heat output and I can't see that. This is all about being frugal (cheap) not pissing away money or fuel.

Sorry I'm gearing up for some training and manual writing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.