How do I fasten the stainless liner cap to the clay tile at the top?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmhoek

Nov 2, 2006
I have a full-length stainless flex liner for my Napoleon 1401 insert in a masonry fireplace. My question is how to fasten the rain cap to the top clay flue tile which protrudes out the top of the chimney. The rain cap has a flange bent over the edges of the top of the clay, but I don't know what type of bit I could use to drill into the clay and what type of screw to use to securely fasten it. I will be sealing the joint with high-temp caulk, but I need to find out how to fasten the cap on properly. Thanks!

Silicone the top edge of the clay flue tile, and set the top plate on. Some plates have screws some don't.

I called around and every stove shop I talked with said to bend the top plate over the sides of the clay tile and screw down. However my top plate had a raised center (where the liner stuck up through) for rain runoff, so if I would try to bend the sides over it would distort the cover and not sit flat or give a good seal. So I drilled through the clay tile with a masonary bit and mounted a 13" piece of 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" stainless angle iron(thin stuff) on each side, flush with the top of the clay tile. I used 1/4" X 20 bolts. Then set the top cover down on that and fastened with self tappers. It provides a nice flat surface for mounting and I didn't have to bend up my top cover. Don't tighten the angle iron bolts too tight or you could break the clay tile and don't forget to seal the mating surfaces with high temp silicone.

I just installed a 1401 last week and had the same set up up top.. your said your top plate has the flange so im guessing its for the terra cotta flue that protrudes above the chimney crown. I had the same set up and used a flex liner from http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=250. that top plate had 4 screws, one set of two on one side and the other set of two on the opposite side. I did not want to drill any holes into my flue in fear that the flue would crumble on or break apart, so i just used the high heat silicone sealant around the top of the flue, pressed my top plate onto that and tightened the screws so that they put pressure on the flue, but did not crack it. This seal along with fixing the flex liner to the top plate should be plenty sufficeint to hold the top plate in place. I had some strong winds the other day, about 40--50 mph and the set up did not budge. The liner is pretty heavy so long as you have a tight connection between the top plate and the liner, you should be fine just sealing the top with high heat silicone and tightening the screws to hold things in place.

hope this helps..

For your 1401, have you put any thought into what thermometer you are going to use to let you know what the temp is. i finished my install but want to get a thermometer set up so i can moniter my burn temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.