How do I get the max heat from my Harman PC45 Corn/Pellet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rch105

Oct 10, 2013
Pocono Mtns. of NE PA
I've had this PC45 for a few years and I've always wondered what settings would give me the max heat. The owner's manual gets confusing.

I have typically run it with the following settings using pellets:

Room Temp H

Igniter switch Auto

Temperature 4.5 to 5 (72 to 76 F)

Feed Adjuster 2 to 3

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Not an expert on that particular unit, but if you want a more even heat, switch to stove temp. You won't get the highs & lows as the t-stat calls for heat or reaches temp. I run both of my Harman's that way on the coldest days...Might eat a little more pellets, but it sure cuts down on the beeotch bites...

Did you get the pellet upgrade kit that bumps the output to 50K.? Stove temp will get things cranked up a bit but you need to feed the stove more fuel too.

Feed rate to 4 and try lowering your blower setting to medium.

Have you tried any of these things and have they helped at all?

We hit a mild streak so there was no need to run the stove for the last week. I did, however before shutting it down, turn up the feed rate and found little temp change...it went up about 50 degrees and ate more pellets. I have not switched to the stove (high) setting but will make the suggested changes once I start it up again. I guess I was looking to try a number of suggestions rather than keep posting additional threads should I not get the desired result I'm after. I wasn't aware there was a pellet upgrade for my stove. What does it consist of? My stove did come with two burn pots, a large hole and a small hole. What's the best one to use with pellets, large or small?

Kit includes a exhaust fan plate with a larger hole. A sheet with different dip switch setting. The pot-tray with larger holes is for pellets. Corn takes less air through the pot and air will cool the fire down to much. Probably not worth the effort or money for the kit as most people don't run stoves full out. IMO most stoves loose efficiency at high settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.