How do I go about converting from Gas to Wood Burning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim K.N.

Dec 9, 2005
My fireplace is built as a gas burning unit only. I would like to rip it out and start over by installing a wood burning fireplace.

How do I go about this? I suspect I will need to put in a new firebox and the appropriate chimney pipe with damper and.....??

Is this a job a DIY'er can handle or should I get a pro?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tim all do respect we do not know what you are capable of handeling. First of all the gas stove probably has a vent with a 10 year warranty alumium core pipe, ok for gass but will never stand up to the heat of a wood stove and can not be used. As far as ripping it out that's ok but are you licenced gass fitter of plumber to eliminate the gas line or dissconect it. Then there are clearance to combustiable issues, different for a gas stove than wood stove, the wood stove or fireplace generates far more heat.
Just a few things to think about before you DYU

Here is what I am doing for a similar project:
Rip off the drywall and tiles and some of the mantle around the current fireplace-me.
Remove gas log and some of the gas pipe and plug it-me.
Pull permit-fireplace company.
Remove old fireplace and chimney-fireplace company.
Install new fireplace and chimney-fireplace company.
Install cement board and tile around new fireplace-me.

I didn't consider doing the fireplace myself because it is heavy or doing the chimney because it is tall. This is also an operation that I want done exactly correctly because a mistake could be expensive. I have a clearance issue to the top of the mantle that I can resolve by removing the lower part of the mantle and a clearance issue to the side of the mantle that I can resolve by reducing the depth one inch or installing a stone mantle. I haven't decided yet what to do about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.