How do I reverse flow in a loop?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emesine

Apr 24, 2009
Indiana
I am working on a hydronic set-up for my house. I have put in a 3500 gallon unpressurized storage vessel. In order to store water in the vessel, I need to put how water into the top of the tank. In order to heat the house, I need to reverse this flow and pull hot water from the top of the tank. Both the heat in and the heat out of the tank run through the same heat exchanger. The design looks great..... provided I can set the storage tank side of the Heat Exchanger to reverse directions.

Does anyone know of a reversible circulation pump, or a way to reverse flow in a line?

Andrew

I've seen it done with a 4-way motorized valve. You would normally see that type of valve used to reduce water temps to a zone(s)

There was a thread a while back with the same basic issue of reversing flow direction. What I beleive ended up being done was simply to put two circs in the line, a couple feet apart to minimize turbulence, facing in opposite directions. The wiring was done such that only one of the two circs could run at a time. The question of what resistance there would be to pumping through a non-running circ was asked, and according to the poster, he was told by Taco tech support that it would be negligible... (Obviously no flow checks were used)

There were several other plumbing options considered as well, including the 4-way valve, doing a pair of opposite facing pumps plumbed in parallel with flow checks to prevent short circuiting, etc... The conclusion was the opposing pumps in the same line was simplest and least expensive

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.