Q&A How do we patch the hole?

QandA Posted By QandA, May 23, 2002 at 2:20 PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QandA

    New Member 2.
    Staff Member

    Nov 27, 2012

    As you might see from my post below, we are removing a wood stove. With two small kids it seems like an unsafe thing to have in our family room. We might, however, want to install either another one or some kind of fireplace in the future. Right now there is a round hole about 3 feet up from the floor. How do we patch the hole to make it look ok for now, and accessible for the future? There will probably wind up being a sofa in front of the spot, but the sofa will not be high enough to cover the spot. We also would like to reduce the critter potential! We are installing a chimney cap, but still....!


    There's a special piece of hardware called a flue cover. It's basically a painted, thin gauge metal disc that covers the opening. You could put some insulation being that if you wanted something extra. A hearth store or a hardware store might carry one of these, they cost about 5 or 6 bucks.

    You might want to see about purchasing something like this via the internet, through one of the "virtual stove stores", assuming they do more than just sell stoves. I don't see any downside in doing this, seeing as though there's little freight cost, shipping and delivery problems, installation questions, chances of freight damage, missing parts, etc.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page