How do we remove thinset?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the 30" height to the lintel of the fireplace with the brass door frame and trim removed? If so it sounds like you are back to the thimble using double wall connecting pipe to reduce clearance issues. Double wall stove pipe can be 9" from the ceiling and 6" from the mantel.

My husband heard back from the stove store. For $109 he can order a short leg kit so we can have a heart pad and still fit below the fireplace lintel. My husband told him we don't want the stove in the fireplace AT ALL. I told my husband what the manual says and he said he's just telling me what the guy said.

Is there some loophole the guy is thinking of or is he perhaps not aware of the manual's guidelines?

Thoughts?

For insurance and inspection purposes I'd want it in writing from Jotul that it is ok to use the short leg kit on this stove with a type 2 hearth pad.

Yes, this is a deviation from the manual. Your dealer may be correct. However, if Jotul says it's permissible it would be good to get this documented.

Hi all, Mr. Mountain Lady here... Would chiseling out a row of brick (effectively making the opening taller) from the fireplace opening be doable, or would this cause other issues with the structure of the lintel?

Hi all, Mr. Mountain Lady here... Would chiseling out a row of brick (effectively making the opening taller) from the fireplace opening be doable, or would this cause other issues with the structure of the lintel?
It can be done but it would mean moving the lintel i have done it a few times but you need to be very aware of where and combustible materials are many times they are to close already and removing another layer of brick will push it even closer.

A mason might be able to raise the opening height. This would require a professional mason to raise or replace the lintel frame, but it's worth inquiring about. Another alternative would be to put in an insert instead of a freestanding stove.

image.jpg
We just took the brass fireplace cover off and the opening measured 30.75" tall. The stove's rear exit is 29.5" high. We were told to build our hearth pad 1" thick. That puts us at 30.5" tall, leaving 0.25" of room in between the stove pope and the fireplace lintel.

Whew! No short leg kit needed. Wahoo!

Lesson learned: don't use someone else's measurement!!

Reactions: Mountain Dude
What is the hearth construction plan?

PS: Take cell phone pictures with the home button on the right and they should post correctly.

Reactions: Mountain Lady
That is at least 1.25". Does the masonry have a bit of a lip that could be cut back or is it at the same height as the metal lintel frame?

With regular legs the F45 stove requires only ember protection. One layer of cement board will suffice, but it will require a flat surface to avoid cracking. Maybe put down a skin of 1/4" plywood, then 1/2" Durock, then 1/4" tile?

Or is using two cement boards even necessary?
That will come up to 1" + thinset thickness + tile thickness or about 1.375". 30.5" minus 1.375" = 29.125". The stove pipe would have to slope downhill to clear the lintel which is something you want to avoid. That's why I suggested 1/4 inch plywood and 1/2 inch cement board instead.

Last edited:
There are some other options you should think about. You could use a 1" thick, type 1, hearth pad or stove board. They make one in black that is 32 x 42 that would suffice. Imperial BM0130RC 32" x 42"
http://www.sears.com/search=imperial bm0130rc stove board 32inchx42inch black
http://www.amazon.com/Imperial-Manufacturing-Type-Stove-Board/dp/B0062P0NHM/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1425163200&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=BM0130RC stove board
HyC makes one with a slate look:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578233_200578233

Or you could skin a sheet of 1/2" Durock with 22 ga. sheet metal and paint it with a decent high temp black paint. Or skin it with copper or stainless steel for a dressier look.

Here is what Mountain Dude has done so far. Today he is going to have the tile cut for the front corners. Tonight is a thinset party.
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Use corner spacers between the tiles for a uniform look.

Today, if it doesn't rain, the stove gets installed! After that we will put slate on the two rear sides to cover the old concrete hearth. Then it will get trim. We got a good bit of the thinset up but next time, if there ever is one, I vote to just cover it up instead of remove the beastly stuff. image.jpg

The hearth pad held up to the install. Only a couple pieces of slate chipped. Now we just neec to cut two tiles to cover the concrete hearth and trim the hearth pad.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the thinset was less of a concern than expected, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.