How do you attach chimney support straps to a vinyl sided wall? (While maintaining the 2" clearance.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ericj

Oct 9, 2010
Iowa
It seems that if I attach the strap to the "thin" part of the siding, then the chimney wouldn't be held out 2" from the "fat" part of the siding. Is this right? Or, can I buy adjustable straps that allow the chimney to be held further from the vinyl siding? (I'm forced to go through the wall with the chimney because of our home's layout.)

I would not do it like that at all!

If you need to make a deal like the guy used wood, get at least some PT wood and paint it. Now cut the siding and install J channel. Screwing right over the siding is pretty hack work IMO.

Also in that photo, he is missing the shingle support/drip edge on his cutout... actually looks like the whole roof is wrong. The shingles shouldn't overhang like that without a proper shingle support, which he doesn't have.... you can overhang 1/4" or so over the drip edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.