How do you handle windy days

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wolves1

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2014
Malverne ny
Would like to see how people handle windy days with their wood stoves. Example open the air more then usual, put more wood then normal. Does your stove burn differently on windy days?

Would like to see how people handle windy days with their wood stoves. Example open the air more then usual, put more wood then normal. Does your stove burn differently on windy days?
No difference at all

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
I just watch it a little closer in case draft increases. For us it really depends the direction of the wind. Our prevailing winter winds are from the SW. They don't affect the stove too much, even when strong. But every once in a while we get a strong winter north wind blowing in and that is the side of the house with two huge windows. Our chimney is also on the north side. When the wind is strong you can hear it through the stove and I need to watch draft more closely. With the north winds also come a drop in temperature so yes, we are burning hotter during those times.

Reactions: TedyOH
I usually run a hotter fire in windy conditions to compensate for more cold air forced into the house. We sometimes have draft problems on windy days but a good chimney cap cleaning usually prevents that.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

No difference at all in stove operation. It’s more about the temperature of that wind, cold wind can really cool the house so I might need to turn it up a bit.

Reactions: jetsam
Our chimney sits close to the middle of the roof. Have not really seen any noticeable changes on windy days.

No difference at all in stove operation. It’s more about the temperature of that wind, cold wind can really cool the house so I might need to turn it up a bit.

I guess that's true for me too. Doesn't directly affect the stove, but I will be running it hotter on a cold windy day because the house needs more heat.

Reactions: Highbeam
If its a north wind the stove gets loaded all the way lol. A south wind here can be warm and mean no stove at all but i too as begreen have to watch draft....nothing major so far just difference of 1/4 open when cruising to closing all the way if its really windy for me.

I fire it like hell if it's windy out because if it is, I can sit on the couch and fly a kite. ;lol
No difference at all
Yeah, 'cause every day is windy up on your ridge. ;lol
I'll usually put my hair up in a bun, or braid it. I never wear it down on windy days.
You burn with the same heat all the time? ;)
I live at sea level and have a short stack.
Not for long, pal...batten down the hatches and prepare to dive! :oops: You'd better have your stove powder-coated to prevent rust and have a dry-snorkel attachment fitted to the top of your stack. ;lol

Last edited:
Reactions: EbS-P
I definitely get an increase in my already strong draft...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

We have no ridges here that would effect the wind patterns. The trees around are about house height, so no real effect there either. There are no buildings around that are taller than the house, so no effect there. The house is kind of L shape though, so a NW wind can create a high pressure zone on that side of the house that can become fairly pronounced, and effect infiltration, and heat loss. Otherwise, no changes to draft or having to compensate that way other than turn up the heat a little. And don't have enough to make a man bun or braids, so no, and no.

Wind can be blasting outside and the fire stays steady, even with an outside air kit installed. Amazing really.

I have a lot of tall trees close to the house on the windward side but that doesn't seem to do much. Chimney is not centered on the ridge, it's slightly on the leeward side, but the cap is 3' above the ridge.

I think the top of my pipe (not the top of the cap) is 2' 8" above the ridge. Maybe getting above the ridge helps. The 2-10 rule is minimum. Maybe more is betterer?

On a cold start sometimes the wind comes back down the chimney, but generally I don't notice a difference. I can watch the firebox and see when a bad gust comes through, but otherwise it might even be easier to run on a windy day.

noise cancelling headphones

with the strongest of gusts during a northeaster there can be an almost imperceptible wavering of the flame inside the stove. You really have to watch the fire intently and want to see it.

Reactions: Ludlow
On hard gusts here on top of a hill with a 25' chimney I can see the secondaries burn more vigorously, but then it goes back to normal.

No changes.

Unusually high winds today and tonight here.
25mph gusting to 45. Came home, put wood in, open the door and damper, , , , , ,nothing. Fire starter, nothing. Pile of kindling, nothing. 45min later, couple Fire starters, patience, away it goes. I would say wind had a pronounced effect tonight on the draft available to get up and going. The wind is coming up and over the peak of the roof, and seems to be creating a net zero draft. Lucky not to happen often.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191127-182141.png
    Screenshot_20191127-182141.png
    138.5 KB · Views: 124
I live on top of a cleared ridge, prevailing winds in the winter are normally out of the nw, but we do get nor'easter's and although they are fun, it's a damp cold wind here, the stove gets loaded to the gills and a hotter burn is called for. I do have a damper on my setup due to high draft, I pay more attention to warmer or less wind days then windy days to be honest, when its in the 40's or 30's with a light wind I make sure to keep the damper flipped open, as soon as temps fall into the 20's I need the damper anyway so any wind is null into making an opinion.

I have to put the wood to 'er if it's cold and windy. No wall insulation, and wind gets behind the logs through gaps at the corner logs, sucking heat away from the inner thermal mass (1/2" gypsum board, 12" of concrete.)
wall board.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: kennyp2339
@kennyp2339, if your jaw is dropping at the caulk/insulation job, that is some of my wife's handiwork. ==c