How do you re-face a hearth that you still want to use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mfglickman

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2012
NW CT
I've found a number of blog posts and how-to's on re-facing a hearth using wooden furring strips and stone facing materials to cover an existing hearth.

We use the hearth in question, it is brick and I hate the brick, it has a low wooden mantel that looks silly (crown molding detail on a 1700's house) and then feather edge wood paneling above that again, looks silly and was poorly done to be 1700's style in a 1970's addition. We also have ants in the wood paneling and it's a b*tch to treat for them in there. But they love how warm it is in winter, I guess...

So I'd like to, someday, make this a fieldstone fireplace. Nice brown or gray or mixed stones (veneer, I assume) all the way up, tearing out the mantel and paneling, and maybe putting in a slate mantel or one of reclaimed wood (I have some in the barn) placed higher than the current one.

BUT I want to do it so that the R factor is still OK for my Fireview stove and will be OK for my future larger firebox, probably a Progress but maybe a Jotul or PE depending on what's what at that time.

Thoughts?

Here is the existing hearth (pardon the "dog pen" of bookcases made up to keep the post-surgery Newfoundland from injuring herself)....

1354386990.jpg

Go to a masonry supply store.You can buy little corrugated metal strips that you can attach to the bricks. These will then create a bond between the brick and the mortar you set the new stone in. While you are there, ask about additives for the mortar mix to ensure a good chemical bond to the brick as well.

Another option is to tapcon Dura Rock or Hardee Backer right to the brick face. Then you'll have a nice surface to adhere whatever stone veneer you want to use & not have to worry about ANY combustibles.

Reactions: Jags
Another option is to tapcon Dura Rock or Hardee Backer right to the brick face. Then you'll have a nice surface to adhere whatever stone veneer you want to use & not have to worry about ANY combustibles.

Yep, when we built our fireplace surround, all areas within the non-combustible range as outlined by the manufacturer were covered in Dura Rock. We covered the rest in wire mesh, then a good coat of morter (need the right mixture, and the right mortar), and went to town. A few pictures of the progress:

basementremodel-010.jpg

basementremodel-013.jpg

basementremodel-019.jpg

basementremodel-020.jpg

basementremodel-037.jpg

Reactions: DAKSY
I

We use the hearth in question, it is brick and I hate the brick, it has a low wooden mantel that looks silly (crown molding detail on a 1700's house) and then feather edge wood paneling above that again, looks silly and was poorly done to be 1700's style in a 1970's addition.

I cant add any advice on how to do it, but I SOOOO hear you on how bad old 70s/80s renovations tried to do the "colonial look" You are lucky its just an addition. Our place has had a lot of the detail ripped out and then poor attempts to recreate it with home center materials in the original parts of the house.

Yep, when we built our fireplace surround, all areas within the non-combustible range as outlined by the manufacturer were covered in Dura Rock. We covered the rest in wire mesh, then a good coat of morter (need the right mixture, and the right mortar), and went to town. A few pictures of the progress:

basementremodel-010.jpg

basementremodel-013.jpg

basementremodel-019.jpg

basementremodel-020.jpg

basementremodel-037.jpg

Oooh I LOVE this! Can you come do mine? :)

I cant add any advice on how to do it, but I SOOOO hear you on how bad old 70s/80s renovations tried to do the "colonial look" You are lucky its just an addition. Our place has had a lot of the detail ripped out and then poor attempts to recreate it with home center materials in the original parts of the house.

I wonder what people will think of my "so 2012" attempts to restore this place, sometimes. :p But yeah, I look at the hearth in the addition and I think it looks like it's been squashed....the previous owners dreamed of grandeur of scale then reminded themselves that 8' ceilings do NOT lend themselves to that....lol.

mfglickman...That's a beautiful room you have there, If you pick the correct stone, that's gonna look awesome in my opinion!

Status
Not open for further replies.