How do you store pellets and how much

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You and me both (except I carry and stack - no slide).
With a step down basement/bulkhead, I "used" to go up and down the stairs..
1 bag a time..wow...
Then one day my neighbor was taking apart his playset, and I saw this nice yellow poly slide...
The rest is history......
Now I have a 24" high 'landing ramp' and I can slide 8 bags down before I have to go down
and start stacking.. So I make 1/8 the amount of trips, and am not carrying them.
Also, not bending over to pick them up in the basement..
This old body ain't what it used to be... this works good!

Dan

Reactions: Mt Bob
I’ve just hand stacked them as high as I could reach on a pallet. Mine have sat on occasion for 4-5 years and burned just the same. To get mine into the basement via the bilco door I just borrowed the kids yellow plastic slide. Laid it on the steps propped by a couple bags of pellets . Then slid a bunch down till it got built up then went down and stacked. Nearer is usually better both ways if your layout allows.
I did do bulk corn till the bureaucrats made that too [emoji389]. Just made a big box out of plywood right against the wall and window I loaded through. Worked ok but unless there’s some huge price advantage I never saw with pellets stick to the bags.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 bag a time..wow...
Then one day my neighbor was taking apart his playset, and I saw this nice yellow poly slide...
Now I have a 24" high 'landing ramp' and I can slide 8 bags down before I have to go down
and start stacking.. So I make 1/8 the amount of trips, and am not carrying them.

Dan
well, with 4 people helping, loading pellets in the basement is easy nuff.[my post earlier] but,
have not come up with a better way to get the pellets to the stove from the basement.
granted, anytime one of us goes down to the basement, you don't come up empty handed
but doesn't get any easier to haul 40lb bag up the steps 7-10x a week.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Wow, you folks all work pretty hard at this.

I line up 4 tons outside my basement door, covered with pallet tarps. Keep 8-10 bags inside, bring them in on a handtruck with a little ramp.
One ton stays for next fall, need the ground to be frozen to get a Moffet back there. I find one year loses 10-20 degrees of heat, two years loses more like 50degF.

DCP_0131.JPG

Do you face all your labels the same way,like Dexter does? ;lol

Had to laugh at this, got a little bothered my Turmans are palletized randomly up vs down, "not all the same way!!??!!"

Cheers,
- Jeff

Reactions: Mt Bob
1 bag a time..wow...

Dan

I have a walk in basement from the garage so have to carry each bag about 50' from the back of the truck. The basement stove uses the majority of the pellets, so that works well. Once a day I carry a bag or so up the stairs to feed the P43.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Holds about 2.5 ton and I can back up the truck real close to the door for easy loading and stacking.

401165421-jpg.jpg

401165429-jpg.jpg

pellet-shed-9-23-2013-1-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Sure looks like a pellet vac set up :)

I just buy bag by bag and stack them in my room usually 12-15 bags every two weeks. Just got a room built in October thought be cool to put a pellet stove inside it. May get a storage shed and store them inside coming season.

hey.. what is that pipe doo hicky attached to the right side of your shed in last pix?

Looks like a vac setup for removing fines, hook a vac to it dump them in the top and catch them in a bucket minus the fines down below

I buy one ton at a time, from a local lumberyard that stocks pellets year round, $198/ton.
I burn about three tons a year and store them outside on a pallet that sits on a concrete slab underneath an enclosed deck. I carry the bags of pellets one at a time form my pickup truck to the storage area, it takes about an hour.

I am going to buy another ton today.

5 Tons, down to 2 Tons and 10 bags. Hopefully on Furnace soon. If not send wife out and get 9 bags for the porch. I think she can manage that with her Mitsubishi MT18 Tractor. Snow off roof might be in the way. Then the fun way. Wheelbarrel.

Start with 3-4 ton store on pallets in my shed and bring in 15 bags to dump in the box. Scoop from there to the stove which allows the fines to fall to the bottom
aaaabf165e9c84de884a2b7930abd1b5.jpg
0e0fb98ea825e5ce00fa12a3861e0d81.jpg
b43e3c44cf6867057f51ab1de0b19bac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cyb33r
It was built for us by my step father, originally it was to hold them in bags which we could fit 9 in, but we had lots of issues with fines, so started dumping them in the box so they can be sifted. Which it actually works out better this way plus it holds more.

Reactions: Cyb33r