How even are the temps across the stove? (Jotul Olso)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With these infrared digital thermometers it is easy to shoot the temps anywhere. I'm on my third break in fire and noticed that the left side of the stove seems to run 30 to 50 F hotter than the right side of the stove. Of course the center cook plate is the hottest as expected.

But I was surprised that the left front and back corners consistently seem to be 50 F hotter than the right side (facing the stove). I have had it in the 300 F and then in the 400 to 500 F range. I figure the cast iron can handle the differences and the lower parts of the side can be much cooler that the upper parts of the side.

It is just a little strange that the top would heat asymetrially. I did the dollar bill test on my (left) side door just to make sure that was not contributing to it. It seems tight. I don't think this is a big deal, just thought I would check if anyone else has noticed this type of unevenness on their stove top.

Stove temps are not uniform across the top as you've discovered. Lots of variables here including the wood and how the fire is burning.

Smokey Foot - Elvira?? Now how did that name come up? I've never named a stove.

I have an irobot called Roabbie....

The difference in temperature makes a bit of a mockery of the overfire situation - I could be at 600 in one place and 800 in another...

When my stove is next at temp, I'm going to move the thermometer around...

Smokey Foot said:
On mine the right side back and front is usually hotter that the left. The center plate can be as much as 200 degrees hotter than the corners.
I think the difference is in where you load the wood in the box as I tend to cram it to the far end as I am loading through the left side door.

I've noticed the same thing as Smokey Foot . . . the right rear corner is always the hottest and after some consideration I came to the same conclusion as SF . . . the way I load my wood most of the coals are pushed back to the right rear corner . . . and when I do a reload the firewood I stick in the stove is typically closest to the firebox top in the right rear corner.

As noted, no big deal as to the temp difference . . . that said I have my thermometer in the right rear corner so it's generally giving me the hottest reading.

I am just on my fourth burn, just getting use to the stove. Did my first overnight burn last night. I check the four corners and continue to have a hotter left side, between 80 - 100 F hotter in the 450 to 550 range. I use long wood that comes close to filling the box. I will try using shorter wood on the right side to see if that makes a difference. Whether it does or not, I going to stop worrying about it and just put my thermometer in the corner that typically runs the hottest.

SF, Looks like your happy wife will stay happy as long as you only have Elvira as your evil women. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.