How far will you travel for a scrounge?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabsroman

Minister of Fire
Jun 1, 2011
West Friendship, Maryland
I have a decent oak scrounge about 25 miles from me and am debating whether to go and get it. If I could bring a trailer with me, it would be a no brainer. Not sure about making the drive just to fill up the pickup, but the tree is already bucked and it is red oak.

So, how far are you guys willing to travel for some free firewood?

I bet you wouldn't have 5 gallon of gas in the round trip.
What's gas there now?
Roughly, a truck load for $16 - $20 ;)

I've gone farther, but had a trailer (cord per trip ).

I only have a trailer, already bucked,easy access ? yep I would go get it

I asked the same question here a week or so ago. So far I haven't really needed to go more than about 3 miles from home because my area is just covered in old yard trees, but I have gone several times that distance just because I saw a CL ad and the fever overtook me. At 25 miles the biggest extra cost is time, so I'd only do it if the prospect of the drive and the work sounded fun.

Yeah, it is all bucked and sitting in a nice stack. I can drive right up to the stack, split it up, and load it. Think I'll go and get it. Decisions, decisions.

I stay as close as passably can. The way this works is have a lot of different scrounges going on at all times. Just let them know you will get there when you can and if someone beats you to the job you understand. (Never happens on the big ones) Trunk will be there for sure! ;)

Short answer: How well are you really scrounging look at it long term. Furthest I have driven is maybe 8 miles one way in the last 3 years. (Hope that hold true) And a lot gets drop off.

Once went 35mile round trip(other side of the mountain) - more to help a friend with 3 large hickories he had taken down.
It's the wood species that'll make/break it for me.
I have another coworker that's just recently had a lot cleared and offered it up - more like 20miles one way. I'd go help him cut but unlikely I'm hauling it out.

Of course I'm spoiled with a guy ~20mi roundtrip that lets a tree service dump hardwoods and chips in his level garden(more like a 6acre field)

I have a decent oak scrounge about 25 miles from me and am debating whether to go and get it. If I could bring a trailer with me, it would be a no brainer. Not sure about making the drive just to fill up the pickup, but the tree is already bucked and it is red oak.

So, how far are you guys willing to travel for some free firewood?
Last fall I went 37 miles (74 round trip) for some white & red oak. I'd do it again if I had the chance, it would have to be oak.

Post # 28, I think.:oops:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/maybe-my-first-scrounge.89814/page-2

I've gone a long way for firewood before (black locust, around 6 cord of it and we were PAID to remove it all). I won't say just HOW far, for fear of having broken a law or something......:p;)

I've gone a long way for firewood before (black locust, around 6 cord of it and we were PAID to remove it all). I won't say just HOW far, for fear of having broken a law or something......:p;)

If your getting paid then miles go out the window. What you got there is a "Super scrounge". Now that takes mad skills.:)

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.