How hard is this to fix? (Kent Sherwood)

klockman Posted By klockman, Dec 4, 2018 at 4:21 PM

1. klockman

klockman
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 4, 2018
    Loc:
    NJ
    First off, this is a great forum...I've lurked around as a guest for months and learned a lot. :)

I bought a house and this Kent Sherwood is in the basement. From what I've gathered online, this was a nice stove for its time and is still loved by many.

The stove damper doesn't shut all the way and I found out why by looking up into the stove...the top/inside of the stove cracked and warped upward. In the photos you'll see the min and max position that that damper will move.

Is this fixable by someone who knows what they are doing? Is it worth fixing?

Attached Files:

2. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey
    I had a Kent till 2 years a go. I also had a crack in the secondary burner, but at the front. If the stove is in good shape and you can find a local welder who can come to the house, it might be worth it. They are great stoves. I ditched ours and replaced it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey
    To add to my earlier reply. Even though they are great heaters, they are 1980's stoves. They stopped importing them in 1989 I think. I saw a mint one on CL, earlier this week for $450. But one with a crack will not sell for more than $100. That's what we got for our old Kent. So, it depends what the overall condition is and what the welder will charge. Here is the listing https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/app/d/kent-wood-stove/6753209350.html

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Corey

Corey
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2005
    Loc:
    Midwest
    Does that crack really matter? I don't know much about the design of these stoves, but seems like the picture is taken from the firebox looking up into some type of smoke chamber?

If the crack is just between two portions of the firebox - and no chance it's letting smoke/fire outside the stove, I'd be tempted to see if I could just get hold of the metal with a pipe wrench, vice grips or a pry bar and bend it back into place so the damper closes. You'd never run the stove with the damper full closed anyway, so if there is a crack bypassing some smoke, it shouldn't be a big deal.

On the flip side if you're buying firewood, value your time/effort to get it, or burning the stove for anything more than a weekend or two, putting the weld repair money toward something newer and more efficient would probably be a sound investment.

5. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey
    The Kent was designed to burn with the damper fully closed, which also functions as a door lock. That crack is in the baffle and will get a lot larger very fast. Because it is near the vent, it will ruin the secondary burn. With these stoves the secondary burn comes out the baffle just at the top of the door.

Corey likes this.
  6. Corey

Corey
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2005
    Loc:
    Midwest
    Thanks for the additional info! Sounds like the configuration is a bit more unique than I would have guessed.

7. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey
    Correct, Kent stoves were their time way ahead. It was the cleanest burning stove pre EPA.

8. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    I dont know about that the cawley lemay 400 and 600 were really clean burning for the time as well. But yes the kents were very good in their day.

Jan Pijpelink likes this.