How high are you running your pellet stove in this frigid weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vinny11950

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2010
Eastern Long Island, NY
My Enviro M55 FS stove has 5 levels of heat, with 5 being the highest, and with this cold weather the stove is constantly running at levels 3 and 4, using about 2 pellet bags a day. This is to heat a 1,300 sq ranch with moderate insulation.

The living room where the stove is stays around 72 degrees while the bedrooms in the back keep at 66, with a corner door frame fan moving the heat around. Not bad.

I hope the electricity doesn't go out.

My stove is on heat level 1 but spending most of the time on modulate just idling along keeping the house at 75/76 deg. the 2 bedrooms furthest from the stove room are 2 deg. cooler then the stove room. I'm burning Ironstone pellets at a bag a day heating 1250 sq. ft rancher

Reactions: Mt Bob
Out of 5 heat levels I'm running between 2 and 3. Sitting at about-20

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

St Croix has 5 heat settings. Runs off thermostat so idles at #1, and #4 when thermostat calls for more heat. Was using a max setting of 2 until this week's cold weather came in.

Running my Accentra in room temp mode for a comfortable 72 degrees. 2180 sq ft reverse story and a half. Upstairs bedrooms are nice and warm. Churning through 2 bags in 24 hours. Local temps are supposed to plummet tomorrow night to below zero. We have been in the low teens to a balmy 30 today. Might switch to stove temp and see how that works out tomorrow? Used 40% less energy then last December when we didn’t have the stove. Don’t care what the cost off set is we are more comfortable and not paying KCP&L to wear a sweat jacket in my house is worth the cost of pellets and maintenance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Running my P43 at room temp manual on a digital thermostat set at 73 degrees. Stove settings are feed rate= 4 Fan= high and stove temp set at 80. When it gets above 20 I change to room temp auto. Everything else stays the same until shoulder season the I drop to 71 degrees.
Ron

Running my Accentra in room temp mode for a comfortable 72 degrees. 2180 sq ft reverse story and a half. Upstairs bedrooms are nice and warm. Churning through 2 bags in 24 hours. Local temps are supposed to plummet tomorrow night to below zero. We have been in the low teens to a balmy 30 today. Might switch to stove temp and see how that works out tomorrow? Used 40% less energy then last December when we didn’t have the stove. Don’t care what the cost off set is we are more comfortable and not paying KCP&L to wear a sweat jacket in my house is worth the cost of pellets and maintenance.

I hear u their. I have saved about the same on my hydro bill so far over last year and it was no ware near this cold last year. Be interested to see the savings on my gas bill

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

No heat level,on thermostat,the Harman.Been cold here,1 to 1.5 bags a day(24 hrs).When gets below -10,I fire up the integra,in basement,makes for warm floors,because I can,lol.

Nothing like having more than one stove!

Basement stove is running off of its temp probe, Auto and at 73. Feed rate is 3 (I've got small pellets in there). It has not shut down for a while. Ramps up a bit sometimes then goes back to a low burn but stays going because it never gets to the temp that would signal it to shut down all the way (concrete floor and cinder block walls just behind probe). If I ever finish off that portion of the floor and cover the cinder block walls (which would require relocation of stove because of clearances), then it would probably shut down at some point. Like others, I like the warm floor, some of the heat comes up the stairs and some of the heat leaks out to the garage so it has only gotten down to 29 out there.

Main floor stove is set to a thermostat in the middle of the house. Since we haven't had excessive winds it has done fine so far and shuts down for an hour or so between burns. If it were really windy I would have to turn it to manual.

I'm going thru about 3 bags between the two stoves. Lowest temp so far has ben -10 with highs the last couple of days in single digits. Next week looking at negative double digits for lows and won't see above 20 for quite some time according to the weather guessers.

Basement stove is running off of its temp probe, Auto and at 73. Feed rate is 3 (I've got small pellets in there). It has not shut down for a while. Ramps up a bit sometimes then goes back to a low burn but stays going because it never gets to the temp that would signal it to shut down all the way (concrete floor and cinder block walls just behind probe). If I ever finish off that portion of the floor and cover the cinder block walls (which would require relocation of stove because of clearances), then it would probably shut down at some point. Like others, I like the warm floor, some of the heat comes up the stairs and some of the heat leaks out to the garage so it has only gotten down to 29 out there.

Main floor stove is set to a thermostat in the middle of the house. Since we haven't had excessive winds it has done fine so far and shuts down for an hour or so between burns. If it were really windy I would have to turn it to manual.

Sounds like a good setup, warm floors without running the NG furnace. I do run it but only when going to do something in the basement. Otherwise I'll just stir the air with the furnace fan, take a little while but it will bring the temps down there up about 5 degrees.

Temps have been consistently below 0 here this past week at night, highs only in single digits during the day. Wind chills have run to -35. Looks like the next 7 days isn't going to get any better.

Running my stove on HR4-HR6 depending on the temps and winds. Could crank it up to HR9 but never have had to.

Stay warm and Happy New Year to everyone!

I'm going thru about 3 bags between the two stoves. Lowest temp so far has ben -10 with highs the last couple of days in single digits. Next week looking at negative double digits for lows and won't see above 20 for quite some time according to the weather guessers.

Reactions: bogieb
I have my Harman P61A in Room Temp. manual mode at a feed rate of three and heat setting at 70 degrees. I have a 1800 square ft. ranch style house with a few additions and lots of windows in the living room area. My P61A keeps the house at about 70 plus in the living room where the stove is and 68-70 in the rest of the house.

I live in upstate, NY just south of Watertown and East of Lake Ontario in Lewis County. We've had very cold temps. since last weekend and we got about 5 ft. of snow over the course of Christmas weekend. We had 32 degrees BELOW zero one night/morning this past week and 25 degrees BELOW zero Thursday night. Daytime highs have been between zero and 10 degrees this week...In these temps. I burn about 2 bags per day. Also, I run my oil fired hot water boiler with baseboard heat a few times per day so as to avoid the pipes from freezing but the pellet stove is my primary heat source and runs 24/7 once winter arrives here in the "North Country." Which is usually about mid November if not sooner.

I burn Empire brand hardwood pellets manufactured locally in Lafargeville, NY. I consider them a mid-level brand pellet in terms of quality and price. They're actually the oldest pellet manufacturer in New York State and I've been burning them for about 15 years now.

P61-2 at 3/60f stove temp mode 1000 sq ft mobile home. Keeping the house at 68-70f...really liking this new to me stove
-27c -17f

Last edited:
We had 32 degrees BELOW zero one night/morning this past week and 25 degrees BELOW zero Thursday night. Daytime highs have been between zero and 10 degrees this week.

Wow, that sounds cold.

Wow, that sounds cold.

We set two new record lows this week. -32 Wednesday night and -23 Thursday night....These temps. are not at all uncommon in winter, but not typically this early. January and February usually....

I also got over five feet of lake effect snow from Saturday until Christmas day.....This is very common as the North Country where I live is basically right off of Lake Ontario with the Tug Hill Plateau in between. When cold air comes across the open waters of Lake Ontario (or any of the Great Lakes ) and then hits the slightly above elevation of the plateau, it dumps copious amounts of snow. It's why Watertown, Syracuse, and Buffalo get so much snow in a typical winter. Erie, PA too as they get the lake effect off Lake Erie.....We get it off Lake Ontario.....The one good thing is that typically lake effect snow is quite lite in weight as compared to snow in say, a Northeaster or clipper snow event.

Running my p61 in stove temp mode around 3. Keeps my 1100 Sq ft ranch around 73 degrees and I use a little over a bag a day as long as it's not blowing hard outside. It's hasn't gotten over 10 degrees here in over a week and has been averaging -5 degrees at night. It is such a huge relief having a reliable pellet stove to count on, so sick of the Vogelzang I had for 3 years.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: bags and bogieb
had been running in room/auto 24/7.....keeps a steady 74 downstairs..
tried room/manual but blower shuts off for long periods sending heat out the exhaust.
room auto squeezes every last bit of heat from the stove even at "simmering"..
feed rate #3 .. my pellets are very small so hense the feed rate.Ezblaze super premiums.
Anyways,
just for a difference., put it on stove or constant heat the other nite with same settings..
house temps by morning dropped to 70 degrees... stove has been cleaned regularly.
exspected more from the stove mode at same settings..might have needed to bump up the feed to 4.
.. no biggie..

No heat level,on thermostat,the Harman.Been cold here,1 to 1.5 bags a day(24 hrs).When gets below -10,I fire up the integra,in basement,makes for warm floors,because I can,lol.
LOL. So, after buying and installing the P35i, I've come to realize how much heat that damned Integra puts out. Crikey!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Running my englander in on/off mode with thermostat. Pellet stove on main floor. Trying to idle that stove fouls the burn pot and wastes pellets. I use about a bag in two days. Starting using wood stove in basement anytime I am home so pellet stove only runs at night once the wood stove goes out. I use about a bag in three days. Softwood Granulco pellets low ash and good heat. I've noticed that even with the wood stove running once it gets below -20 outside I will find the pellet stove will occasionally start up anyway. Keeps the temp in here at 74/75 where I like it.

Looks like everyone is getting hit with the cold and nasty frigid weather. It has been ugly here as well but not as cold as some of you all. I've been running the P68up until last night on room temp auto, fan on high, and set at around 74. It is running now and starting to shut down.

I fired the Woodmaster last night so the stove didn't run all night but kicked on this morning about 10:30 because I didn't feel like going out in the cold and loading wood. I got back out not long ago and loaded it up and it's off and running so I am now watching the 68 simmer down and it will rest awhile.

Planning on getting the OWB blazing hot and developing a long lasting bed of coals. That means feeding the pig a bunch of wood for awhile. I plan to run it for awhile since it is so cold and will stay cold. Plus I need to replace my fire door rope on the 68 and it's due for a monthly clean. I'll let the Woodmaster do its thing and get some exercise. I don't think I've ran it for the last two winters because they were more on the mild side.

This all said, I now know why I like my pellet stove so much. And I haven't even had to mess with wood other than throwing some in a wheel barrow and then tossing it in. I have a bunch stacked inside my barn ready to go and still didn't want to get out there this morning....

Out of 5 settings on the Kozi Baywin we're running at about 3 at night when we go to bed and 2 during the day when everyone is up. Stove is in a 20'x20' living room with 16ft ceilings that opens up into a exposed loft. Heating three bedrooms up there also, baseboards are off up there. About once every 2 or 3 hours the baseboard heater in the kitchen has been kicking on for about 5 minutes then off. Need to figure a way to pull more warm air from the living room into the kitchen.

We're currently -32C and tonight they are telling us between -37C to -39C with the windchill making it feel like -45C to -50C. This setup we're using about a bag of pellets a day and keeping the rooms at 21C at ease.

Running my Serenity manually using 1-3. Stove is on a south side sun porch built on to my my 850 sq ft mobile home. Been below freezing here. Anywhere from 80-88 degrees being pulled in by a double window fan on the porch window. Pedestal fan blowing 70+ air back the hallway to br's and bath. Furnace set at 72 comes on a few times during the night compared to coming on 2/3 times an hour. Going through 1-1-1/2 bags per day depending on the sun heat load. A happy and blessed chilly new year to all.

P43 thermostat set at 72, still cook in here due to my addition of a humidifier which just pushes the cold floor level air around but seems to help with my breathing when I sleep. Only have about 1000 Sq fft to heat.

52i ran out of pellets while I was at work. House dropped to 68. BRRR! Restarted running in stove temp heat setting around 6 feed at 5 trying to re over the house back to 72. The. I’ll throttle it down a bit. It’s a balmy 6 degrees here in Smithville MO.