how hot does the top of an insulated wood stove get

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks thats all I was trying to figure out as it will be used for cooking all my meals for a month or two

Gotta say, I'd be packing a coleman camping stove. You know, the two burner suitcase units. They, and the propane to fuel them, are super cheap and will save you tons of time.

I would think you could cook all day on the 30. Many people do. Thats the way the pioneers did it. Get yourself a campfire basket for when the wood burns down to a few coals for roasting with the door open.

you can also get firebrick from tractor supply.....but its probably a store item vs. on line.
I think id use a trivet before firebrick as the fire brick would create a hot spot under it not allowing the heat to escape at the same rate as the surrounding metal. Not sure if this would be a problem but just in case. ID user the firebrick for setting the hot pot/pan on when taking it off the stove.

Ugh, they probably did a thousand dollars of damage for $30 of copper. If I get back into owning rentals I'm going to pull any visible copper plumbing out and put in PEX. It might save money if somebody breaks in and sees the copper gone. Maybe they will go away.

I would think you could cook all day on the 30. Many people do. Thats the way the pioneers did it. Get yourself a campfire basket for when the wood burns down to a few coals for roasting with the door open.

I cooked all my Thanksgiving sides on a little 1 cu ft Century.

Ugh, they probably did a thousand dollars of damage for $30 of copper. If I get back into owning rentals I'm going to pull any visible copper plumbing out and put in PEX. It might save money if somebody breaks in and sees the copper gone. Maybe they will go away.
Luckily i did not have much done yet. About 1 roll of 12-2. Probably got about $5 for scrap THey stole the NEW copper wire that was visible between the floor joists in the basement. After this im fishing it all thru the walls. No way would they go thru the trouble of fishing it back out.THey didnt touch the copper baseboard heat units ,way more copper there,i guess they had no way to get them out. I had my rechargeable tools hidden in the bottom of a plastic barrel with some plastic thrown in to look like garbage. I knew someday that practice would save the tools.

I think id use a trivet before firebrick as the fire brick would create a hot spot under it not allowing the heat to escape at the same rate as the surrounding metal. Not sure if this would be a problem but just in case. ID user the firebrick for setting the hot pot/pan on when taking it off the stove.
i misunderstood, i thought there was a question about firebrick used in lining the stove.....my bad.

Not saying you can't but that there is no reason to make it harder than it has to be. That little knob that controls the burner temp on a coleman stove is sure handy when you want less heat. What if the room is already hot? I don't want to get an NC30 up to 600 just to make eggs. It's fun to be challenged when you're in the mood and in those cases use the stove but the job is to build a house so quit jacking around with the stove and go pound some nails.

I read a post that someone warned not to put a tea kettle on the surface as it gave his a rust ring. Do you think that counts for cast iron stuff? I cant remember what he said his tea kettle was made of but he used it as a humidifier and got rust rings

we close on the 22nd it will take a week to get the stove in, and I'm getting a lehmans baker salute oven https://www.lehmans.com/p-4873-bakers-salute-oven.aspx it will take a week Im sure at least so I will be looking for a propane furnace or something in the mean time. I dont want to waste time gettingg the wiring in, plumbing etc. so ay get that coleman grill. i dont know its getting expensive already and I have MREs.

by the way I will have questions on that bakers salute oven in a couple days Im sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.