how is insert cleaned? slides?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fireflynj

Jan 28, 2014
New York
Hello,

We had a free standing pellet stove and now at our new home we have fireplaces and looking to buy an insert.
I can't seem to find enough info about how to clean the insert types.
how do you access that T behind stove and some with slide out, how do you disconnect the pipe?
I can't see how you can slide a stove out without disconnecting the pipe first.
do all inserts slide out?

I just installed a pellet stove with insert kit and I used a flexible exhaust pipe from Fireside Chimney Supply.

https://www.firesidechimneysupply.c...lex-316ti-flexible-chimney-liner-tee-kit.html

The term "flexible" is relative, but this pipe is flexible enough to allow the stove to be pulled out enough to access the back. Also, the installation was much easier with the flexible pipe.

In theory it would be possible for me to remove one of the insert panels to access the rear of the stove using a 1/4 ratchet with long extension, but I'm glad I don't have to do that.

also I will be removing existing stove insert from the fireplace, I think it has a chimney liner if it does can I use an adapter to connect pellet 3" or 4" pipe to the 6" or do I need to run 3" pellet pipe all the way up?

Hi fireflynj! Most inserts all have different "Rail" setups for pulling out your stove. A good dealer should be able to give you all the info you need, plus a lot of good company and YouTube videos out there. You definitely want some kind of system because the alternative of (wrestling and scraping) pulling your stove in and out isn’t good in the long run. My M55 install setup has the exhaust blower gasket (tightly kiss and seal) onto the exhaust T opening. Can’t speak for other brands. I think your going to need a 4” exhaust pipe up the chimney, in any event make sure it has been cleaned!
Good Luck, Bill

Reactions: fireflynj
I was looking at a Quadra-Fire classic 1200 insert, doesn't look like is has a rail. no mention on manufactures website either.
so does that mean it doesn't need a clean out T?
no dealers near me and because of my hearing loss I can't call, I will try emailing them.
but also looking buying one from someone that has one for sale still in the box.