How is my flame?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brockeverly

Dec 30, 2016
Flagstaff, AZ
This year I found that the flame of my Heatilator CAB50 was far too high. Black soot accumulating on door and sides of stove, more ash than normal, and more clinkers. I do not recall it being so high last year, nor having the other issues, but I digress. I adjusted the feed rate this evening, and believe I have it dialed in. What do y'all think?

Are you using a different fuel, that caused you to have to dial down the fuel? When was the last time the exhaust path was cleaned? What does your manual call for, for flame height? Looks good tho. kap

Looks like a healthy flame. Strong but not blow-torch like. But like Kap says, the fuel will have a lot to say about flame and soot.

Reactions: brockeverly
I am running the same fuel as last year, Greentree. Full cleaning at the beginning of the season and that's when I started noticing black on the glass and the high flame. I've run this overnight and I am happy with it dialed down, previously the flame was hitting the top of the fire box! Manual calls for 6-8", I'd say I'm pretty close to that now. A little higher at times, but that's about the average.

Status
Not open for further replies.