How long should I let oak rounds sit before spliting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I try to split asap if not, winter is great frozen oak splits nice
But wood will never sit unsplit in my yard long

RORY12553 said:
What type of splitter is that? Maul I had bounced off the top

Fiskars 7854 Super Splitting Axe. Recently replaced by the X25.

+1 for splitting right away. then stack where it falls. Let it dry right there. Move it when it's dry (lighter).
BTW IMO splitting from the bottom up makes it easier also

I usually split as soon as I can. However, I have a white oak that got the best of me this year and just will not split easily. I am hoping when it is frozen it will be easier, and I am waiting for an elbow injury to heal. If you have a log splitter, of course right away.

I leave oak rounds laying there for a couple weeks. When the ends star up it makes splitting with a maul a lot easier because you can see where the round automatically wants to split. Of course cold weather seems to help as well but that may just be me.

Status
Not open for further replies.