How long to season ironwood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brooktrout

Dec 23, 2007
Hamden, NY
I have quite a bit of ironwood that I'm thinking of cutting down some of it for future burning. This is the smooth-barked variety. Most of it is 6" or less in diameter. Not much, if any splitting. How long to season this stuff?

LEES WOOD-CO said:
Do you mean blue beech ???  I have heard some people call blue beech  -   iron wood
Yes, exactly. I just got off of some other web sites that call it that. Also American Hornbeam. Or musclewood.

I have burned a ship load of that stuff. 1-2 years is good. I love blue beech.HOT HOT HOT and you can make a lot of firewood fast-no splitting. Seems like when you get into a grove of that stuff you can make a couple of loads fast and without moving the truck. It grows thick here and like you said 6 or 8 inches is about all the bigger it gets.

brooktrout said:
I have quite a bit of ironwood that I'm thinking of cutting down some of it for future burning. This is the smooth-barked variety. Most of it is 6" or less in diameter. Not much, if any splitting. How long to season this stuff?

until it is good and rusty of course ;-) just kidding of course. should be seasoned where air can circulate well and in this condition it would be ready to burn in a year if green cut, if dead standing it would be ready virtually immediately as it doesnt tend to absorb moisture readily if dead standing. save the bark if you can as well as its a screaming starter medium

Status
Not open for further replies.