How long to season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrantC

Hearth Supporter
Feb 2, 2008
Oregon
We recently moved to some timberland here in western Oregon, and for the first time we have the timber resources to harvest our own wood.

I'm planning on taking down a couple of big leaf maple and a large fir in the next few weeks; assuming that I can get them bucked up and split over the next month or so, will it be ready to burn next season? (Heating season usually starts late Sep/early Oct in this neck of the woods.) Naturally, it will be properly stacked to dry; I plan to move it into the woodshed before the fall rains start - assuming that it's ready.

-=[ Grant ]=-

Yep-properly stacked out in the wind and sun,only partially covered is the key. Do that, and leave it there till at least mid-sept, then move in into the shed. Otherwise, young man,you will be doing what I now have to do. Wood 18 months old in the woodshed,put there directlyll, and it just isn`t drying or seasoning. Now got to move it to a sunny and breezy place to hang out for the summer, then bring it back to the sheds.

Used to think that split it, into the woodshed, and I can`t go wrong,but I was wrong,that stuff needs to be totally air-dried. Then into the sheds.

FYI-wife and I take our 4 klick walk and go past a old house where someone(who we have never met) always dries his wood in long piles outside in the summer. And I always thought, he splits it, stacks it, then has to stack it again-how dumb! Not so, I am the dumb one for not paying attention to what makes good sense!!

Think I have already said this on another thread,but will repeat so you don`t make the same mistake as me. Stackiing it once in the wind and sun is double the work,but then bring it in to the sheds in the fall and it is double the heat!! ;-)

Sounds like a good plan to me. Good luck and have fun getting wood from your own place. Nice! Plus it saves gas on hauling the wood home.

You should be fine by then, assuming you have a period of good dry weather in your neck of the woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.