How many are buying from HD this year or,

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I buy from HD, but it's the convenience factor for me. 10 mins away, fsu's seem to burn fine for me, and it's close enough for me to use my HF trailer. There is one seller closer but I'm not spending 300 on newp.:rolleyes:

If I had another source of heat other than electric baseboard, I'd be all over it. Something about turning a dial for heat is appealing!

Reactions: bogieb
I was at HD this weeekend and asked about pricing. All the brands were 299.00 I believe, except for FSU's, which were 259.00. But they didn't have any FSU's at the moment. I was surprised because of all the brands, the FSU's I thought were a better pellet, and a much lower price.
I actually did well I think for this coming heating year. At the tail end of the heating season last year, the local HD was selling FSU's for 4.98 a bag. I bought 10, 20 bags at a time, and ended up with 2 1/2 tons down the cellar. Just have to get another ton or so, and I'll be good.

Reactions: olmec
I was at HD this weeekend and asked about pricing. All the brands were 299.00 I believe, except for FSU's, which were 259.00. But they didn't have any FSU's at the moment. I was surprised because of all the brands, the FSU's I thought were a better pellet, and a much lower price.
I actually did well I think for this coming heating year. At the tail end of the heating season last year, the local HD was selling FSU's for 4.98 a bag. I bought 10, 20 bags at a time, and ended up with 2 1/2 tons down the cellar. Just have to get another ton or so, and I'll be good.

That's exactly what I did in May. HD still had the 4.98 price so I bought up the last of the fsu's they had. Every time I went in they'd bust on me about buying pellets in May. I did something right cuz the price went up.

That's exactly what I did in May. HD still had the 4.98 price so I bought up the last of the fsu's they had. Every time I went in they'd bust on me about buying pellets in May. I did something right cuz the price went up.

I suppose if you have the space, and are willing to put in the work required to move 40# bags around at a whim, there will always be bargains at your fingertips.

HOLLY MOLEY...299.00 for pellets at HD? ARE U KIDDING US?? they are really going to sell Stove chows, and lot of the're Mountain of ash pellet Brands at those prices??!!!

HOLLY MOLEY...299.00 for pellets at HD? ARE U KIDDING US?? they are really going to sell Stove chows, and lot of the're Mountain of ash pellet Brands at those prices??!!!

Oh yes. 299.00 for Green Supreme, Therma-Glo, etc. I was surprised. FSU's were 259.00. More to this story: I actually bought FSU's for the 259.00. The manager came out and said he didn't have any on pallets. Only what was left, about 30 on the floor. The price per bag was more than if you bought the whole ton, which came out to 275.00 a ton. I told him no and went straight to the desk to get my money back.

Are Currans any good? The local Curtis Lumber place had a radio ad for $245, if I recall correctly.

Are Currans any good? The local Curtis Lumber place had a radio ad for $245, if I recall correctly.

You know it's funny you asked that. 2 years ago I bought a dozen bags during the pellet crunch. These had to be the worst garbage I have burned. Nothing else ever came close. These were a 1 out of 10. NewP's, for comparison, were a 4 out of 10. They were that bad. No heat. Nothing. I think I bought the hardwood/softwood mix. Just so you don't think I'm telling you a story "of the moment", search my posts and I told people this a year ago or so.

Reactions: velvetfoot
Our HD has pellets @ $259/ton which means around October they will do their sale and drop them to $239. Last year it was $219 and I was happy to get FSU's. If I was certain to get FSU's I might consider it, but am probably going to spend a little more at the local stove shop and get a little better product-hopefully Northerns.

Reactions: Jason845845
Our HD has pellets @ $259/ton which means around October they will do their sale and drop them to $239. Last year it was $219 and I was happy to get FSU's. If I was certain to get FSU's I might consider it, but am probably going to spend a little more at the local stove shop and get a little better product-hopefully Northerns.

I'm spending $6 more per ton of Lignetics at a local place than Green Supreme at Hd/lowes/tractor supply.

Reactions: Bigjim13
Never heard of HD lowering the price of pellets ever.... especially when heating season starts around October.. you would think it would be other way around with discounts now in August.

Got Currans two years ago and they were alright. Last year they were the second worst pellet I tried (and believe me, I rarely get any "good" pellets). Unfortunately I pre-paid for 3 tons from the local place, so had to burn them in the P61a. Actually still have almost a ton left because I used FSU's from HD for the main floor stove.

Never heard of HD lowering the price of pellets ever.... especially when heating season starts around October.. you would think it would be other way around with discounts now in August.
They did last year and the year before. They have a huge Columbus Day Sale (I think that's the weekend) and the price goes down $20/ton. Maybe they won't this year, it would make the choice that much easier.

I'd double check those prices, I doubt that's correct. At the HD and Lowes near me in Mass, the "premium" pellets were $290, and the junk (Green Supremes) were $260ish.

They had 6 skids of Stove chows in front of HD here outside Phila... they have been there for weeks...
some of the bags have some rips and holes and you can see inside that Chunks of pellets have gone back to Mama .[sawdust]..
hope some new pellet owner doesn't look for a bargain and ask for lower price since the bags are damaged cause I can see a big mess inside someones stove this winter..!!!

Called the local stove shop, $263 for Energex. They have other brands but have sold thru their allotment.

They said I could call every 10 days or so and see what they have.

They also asked if we were on their mailing list. They do a spring (April) pre buy and said their prices/availability was best then (who knew?). I'm on the list but this past April I was just thankful that winter was going to end to be honest. N

So maybe HD is my best option after all. Kinda tired of the pellet search/shortage game every year to be honest.

Called the local stove shop, $263 for Energex. They have other brands but have sold thru their allotment.

They said I could call every 10 days or so and see what they have.

They also asked if we were on their mailing list. They do a spring (April) pre buy and said their prices/availability was best then (who knew?). I'm on the list but this past April I was just thankful that winter was going to end to be honest. N

So maybe HD is my best option after all. Kinda tired of the pellet search/shortage game every year to be honest.
nothing wrong with Energex hardwoods...

Right, but they sell the blend which if I'm not mistaken are the same as FSU's.
these are the energex brands..American/Canadian. The American made are the Hardwood and super hardwood..Canadian are the Softwoods. 10334287_264993123683145_4939986383952889479_n.jpg

Reactions: bogieb
Going to be getting a delivery of all my all new bathroom stuff (tub, surround, cabinets, vanity, countertop, linoleum etc.) in another couple of weeks from HD. Will have them deliver 1-3 tons of pellets at the same time, since I can throw those in for no extra delivery charge. I hope they get in FSU's by then (I'll get at least 2 tons delivered, if not 3). If I have to go with their current stock of Stove Chow, which I've never used, so was thinking of only get a ton in hopes that they get FSU's later. But

Stove Chows from Home Depot are bagged/distributed by Energex so maybe..
This has me thinking maybe I would do a couple of tons

I still have about 1.5 tons left from last year, so am good for a while whichever way I decide. May get 100 gal of propane for DHW, but still have 25% pressure in a 500 gal tank, so may see if I can ride out the winter with that. Last delivery of propane was this time last year when I got 150 gallons and that took the pressure up to 40%, so it seems doable.

Of course getting more than a ton of pellets delivered means my car is not going to get to use the garage for a while - at least until I put the bike into storage. Of course until the bathroom stuff is installed, the car wasn't going to get to use the garage anyway :p

It will be my first year burning. So that excitement/anticipation plus electric baseboards, I'll definitely be burning... I was surprised at the prices Lowe's and HD were charging. I'll definitely be checking out the local suppliers - got a few on my way to/from work. Probably can get a better pellet for just a little big more per bag. (Unfortunately right now I don't have space to store anything more than about 30 bags...)

Lowe's New Haven has Greene Team Platniums for $6.25/bag or $294.5/ton. Green Supremes for $5.58/bag.

HD in North Haven had a sad looking half pallet of Nation's Choice for $5.79. And some unmarked pallets that looked like Green Supremes

Lowe's Cromwell, CT has Timber Heat and I think the price was $5.58/bag. And Green Supremes for $5.58/bag.

$309/ton will get Hamers at the local supplier. Not sure if they mark up for individual bag purchases. Blazers for $369/ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.