How many BTUs do you use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry_NJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 19, 2008
New Jersey USA
I have been thinking about the cost of heating and the choices, discussed many times here and there is a site "Calculator", but one thing I don't recall being discussed is the number of BTUs one needs to be comfortable.

I had a geothermal heat pump installed 15 years ago and it just now needs some $1,000 + repairs and this caused me to wonder about how much the system has saved me compared to other fuels. The site calculator is helpful in this regard, so long as one has all the numbers....but it doesn't tell one what their total usage is or how well that relates to others. The installation of the HP included an "engineering" evaluation of my heat load which is stated to be about 60 Million BTUs for one heating season...or about 3 cords of hardwood well seasoned and in burned in an efficient wood stove...about right I think, albeit I do not heat with wood 24/7. I use only about 1.2 that much wood.

Anyway, for central NJ typical heating temperatures are in the upper 30s to 40s during the day, and upper 20s to 30s at night, with a large number of nights (perhaps 30) with temperatures in the teens, only rarely does the temperature go down into single digits or lower.

My house is a "all electric" design of 25 years ago. R38 in the ceiling, R19 in walls, all glass is double pane. I have about 2,000 sq feet on two floors.

So, at 60MBTU heat load it would cost me about 500 gallons of heating oil, three cords of hard wood, or 17,000 KWH (4,426 KWH with GHP).

For calibration I'd be interesting in any input on what your BTU load is and some general indication of your heating size and outside conditions. This may be too general.

This is not an attempt to compare cost of wood to oil or electricity, that is provided for nicely using the provided calculator. I'm looking more for a discussion on how heat load experience in BTUs.

I'm in a 60+ year old cape style house in eastern Massachusetts. About 2,000 square feet. Decent to good insulation and new windows.

Before the stove I was using about 800 gallons of oil each year, of which something like 600 were for heat. So heating required about 80 million BTU's each year (purchased) and about 65 million BTU's each year (usable @80% efficiency).

I recall reading somewhere that the average energy purchase for heating in New England was 100 million BTU/year.

I am in a 55 year old ranch house with poor insulation, but good windows. Used 800 gallons last year for heat only. Not that great being that I am in Va. I am investigation insulation for the house.

I have a 1200 sf brick ranch that's very well insulated. This is our second winter here and I estimate that we would use 300 to 400 gallons of oil if we didn't burn wood. Our furnace is outdated and inefficient. I think I've generated about 3m BTUs in the insert (non epa) in the past 7 days, burning full time.

Status
Not open for further replies.