How Many of You Keep a Spare Ignitor On Hand or Other Parts?

MarkF48 Posted By MarkF48, Oct 12, 2014 at 7:21 PM

1. MarkF48

MarkF48
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Nov 14, 2011
    Loc:
    Central MA
    I'm thinking about getting a spare ignitor for my Harman figuring this is a part that most likely might fail and it's fairly easy to swap out. Just kinda wondering if others keep some spare parts around such as an ignitor. Beyond the ignitor most other failure prone stove parts (blowers, control boards, etc) are just a bit too pricy to keep as spares.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. TimfromMA

TimfromMA
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2014
    Loc:
    Central MA
    I have a spare igniter. My stove is going on its 5th season with the original igniter.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Pellet-King

Pellet-King
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 30, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern Ct
    Igniter?....What's that?, How about a spare bottle of Gel?....................feline's

boomhour likes this.
  4. Mr. Spock

Mr. Spock
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2013
    Loc:
    SW MA
    I posted this very same question some time ago.I keep a spare an igniter, esp, auger motor, combustion motor, distribution blower, control board and gasket set. They might be expensive but they are fail items eventually and they keep getting more expensive every year. I recall taking a few knocks for having so many spare parts on hand. I found it ironic since so many have no problem keeping an additional seasons worth of pellets around to ensure a warm home.:oops:

Edward Hughes likes this.
  5. TimfromMA

TimfromMA
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2014
    Loc:
    Central MA
    I keep that on hand too.

6. kappel15

kappel15
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 14, 2014
    Loc:
    Iowa
    I keep spares of everything. lol

7. rona

rona
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Apr 2, 2008
    Loc:
    southwestern Minn
    If you have a decent dealer that stocks a inventory and is located close to you it may not be necessary
    I live several miles from a dealer and have built up a stock of parts for just about any problem that might come up. It seems like if I have a spare I will never need it try to go without it and see what happens.

8. Mr. Spock

Mr. Spock
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2013
    Loc:
    SW MA
    Big nor'easter hits. The car isn't going anywhere and neither is a tech. He is taking care of his family. That's when the stove will need that part you don't have.;)

9. Tim Linden

Tim Linden
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2012
    Loc:
    Rhode Island
    Ive thought about the ignitor too but my backup is oil :eek: what is the chance that spare part is a lemon.. if it is you wont be able to return it ?

10. Mr. Spock

Mr. Spock
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2013
    Loc:
    SW MA
    Test your parts. All mine functioning perfectly.

11. Havilcek stole the ball

Havilcek stole the ball
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 8, 2014
    Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    My cellar work area looks like hoarder-ville as it is from all my "spare parts." If I did replace my igniter, which I have not, I would probably keep the old one as a spare part, since it's only about 85% dead. So if the new one is one day 100% dead, and if it happens right when the proverbial snowstorm has us all sheltering in place, I'll be all set. In my toolbox the other day I realized I am still saving a window crank from a '74 Dart. You just never know...

12. UpStateNY

UpStateNY
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

May 4, 2008
    Loc:
    Catskill Mountains
    Here is my spare ignitor.

[​IMG]

13. BrotherBart

BrotherBart
    Modestorator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Here is mine.

[​IMG]

alternativeheat likes this.
  14. Tonyray

Tonyray
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2013
    Loc:
    Bucks County,Pa /North of Phila Eagles
    my backup is Oil also.
    can live without an ignitor till I get one. Or use the gel starter

alternativeheat likes this.
  15. alternativeheat

alternativeheat
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2013
    Loc:
    Cape Cod, Ma.
    Same here, I can run the oil on my generator too if the power goes out.

16. Xena

Xena
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 30, 2005
    Loc:
    South Shore MA
    My stove is going into it's tenth season and the original igniter just started misbehaving. Gel starter has been my go-to firestarter this season - so easy to use and better than wasting my map gas.

17. Arti

Arti
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 14, 2014
    Loc:
    South West Wisconsin
    Not really any spare parts, I have a really great dealer only 65 miles away. I suppose the extra stove in the shed could be considered spare parts?

18. JTRock

JTRock
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Aug 3, 2014
    Loc:
    CT
    Fortunate to have a big dealer 10 miles away with parts. Also have a woodstove. Plus i have a generator for oil and Hot Water if no power.

I have gone through 3 ignitors in 6 years with my Leyden though, all because of using it on Thermostat mode.

19. Wilbur Feral

Wilbur Feral
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 24, 2014
    Loc:
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    I keep a spare ignitor and a spare combustion blower gasket on hand at all times because both willl eventually be needed so it's only costing me a few cents of lost interest even if I don't need them for 2-3 years. And given that I have an MVAE, which can't function without its thermostat (a really bad design flaw that would have nixed me purchasing it and moved me to a Harman had the dealer explained that) I even keep an old one of those on hand that had to be replaced (will keep it running but unreliable in some functions). Like some others, my wife gives me grief about my spare parts for various things - until something's needed in the middle of a storm, on a holiday weekend!

Mr. Spock likes this.
  20. hooter04

hooter04
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2010
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I keep 2 spare ignitors on hand for the simple fact I have 2 stoves.

Mr. Spock likes this.
  21. Mr. Spock

Mr. Spock
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2013
    Loc:
    SW MA
    Depends. Does it work or same make and model as your current working unit?

22. Mr. Spock

Mr. Spock
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2013
    Loc:
    SW MA
    Does your first wife approve of the spare wife?

Tim Linden likes this.
  23. Arti

Arti
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 14, 2014
    Loc:
    South West Wisconsin
    Yes to both.

Mr. Spock likes this.
  24. Pat Shuff

Pat Shuff
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 7, 2009
    Loc:
    Coos Bay OR
    Spare ignitor mistakenly replaced for fried power amps on the circuit board problem. Spare circulator fan that got annoyingly noisy so wouldn't want to use again. More importantly kept the spare gas insert in place hooked to a propane bottle in case of a delay in parts or stove tech available to fix what I can't figure out. So far local dealer has had parts on hand or promptly available.

25. Jack Morrissey

Jack Morrissey
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 25, 2009
    Loc:
    Stoughton, Ma
    Really? You don't see any advantage in having a igniter??