How many of you move a ton a pellets on your truck? Do you have a full ton truck?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK all your trucks are the best.......... ;-) BUT what I can see from the pics, none of you can brag about securing your load. It takes one swerve in traffic due to another idiot, as this does happen and either you or an innocent bystander could be fatally injured. Think about it. My 2 cents guys. Haul safe. :)
Cheers

Reactions: KodiakII
north of 60 said:
OK all your trucks are the best.......... ;-) BUT what I can see from the pics, none of you can brag about securing your load. It takes one swerve in traffic due to another idiot, as this does happen and either you or an innocent bystander could be fatally injured. Think about it. My 2 cents guys. Haul safe. :)
Cheers

Could only happen in Canada. We drive safely here. :coolsmirk:

My ROCK hauls 2.5 tons each time I buy pellets. Can't fit any more in the truck or I would. Doesn't faze it. 3500 dually diesel.

I got to say the truck is working out well. I used to use my Jetta for getting my supplies.

Attachments

• Lumber-Car-A.jpg
    Lumber-Car-A.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,198
Why stop at one ton?

Attachments

• 0227011141.jpg
    0227011141.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 898
Here's mine...

Attachments

• IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 871
This subject came up a couple of times last year. It's OK if you can move a ton of pellets in your truck but don't forget that there is a very hefty fine for using your vehicle to haul more than it is licensed to haul. The DOT would be more than happy to inform you via a nice ticket. You make the job even easier for them by having this nice tower of bags sticking up like a flag for them to see. :coolgrin: At least break the pile down level with the bed. You're going to have to do it anyway.
But, hey, I use an enclosed trailer built for 3500 lbs. Out of sight and out of mind. Think about it. Also at the end of your drive, feel the temperature of your rear tires just for giggles. It might make you think twice.

flynfrfun said:
Here's mine...

Holy crap! Is that a 500 lb capacity 4 wheeler trailer????

j-takeman said:
flynfrfun said:
Here's mine...

I bet it gets much better mileage than my F150! :)

Ha,ha. Actually, I only towed it about a mile and a half from my Home Depot to the house, max speed of about 35mph & no hills. Hauled 2 tons this way, but don't recommend it. Now that I found out you can use their truck for free, I'll save the wear and tear on my car.
Flynfrfun

tjnamtiw said:
flynfrfun said:
Here's mine...

No, it has a 2000lb capacity, so I'm at the limit. You have to air up the tires to the recommended 90psi or it will smoosh them down. The first ton, I didn't realize this and only had the tires at 60psi. They got warm only going the 1.5mi to my house. 2nd load was at 90psi and no problems. It does get the job done in a pinch (I was in a pinch at the time), but I don't recommend it.

flynfrfun said:
tjnamtiw said:
flynfrfun said:
Here's mine...

No, it has a 2000lb capacity, so I'm at the limit. You have to air up the tires to the recommended 90psi or it will smoosh them down. The first ton, I didn't realize this and only had the tires at 60psi. They got warm only going the 1.5mi to my house. 2nd load was at 90psi and no problems. It does get the job done in a pinch (I was in a pinch at the time), but I don't recommend it.

Is the capacity 2,000 or is that the GVWR??

doublewide said:
maple1 said:
The terms '1/2 ton' and '1 ton' trucks are pretty misleading - a '1/2 ton' can carry a lot more than 1000 lbs, likewise with the 1 ton. We've got one of each, they've hauled more than twice the '1/2 ton' and '1 ton' quite routinely.

So, how much weight can a half-ton carry legally? I was also wondering how much a ticket would be? Anyone ever get a ticket for being overloaded? I'm sure some pellet pigs have!!

fines for overloading will make you think twice about ever doing it again.

this thread makes me laugh....my truck is better than yours, blue trucks can haul more than red trucks, my dad can beat up your dad...........

GM = government motors
Dodge = dads old dog goes everywhere
Ford - found on road dead - fix or repair daily
GMC = garage mechanics companion

flynfrfun said:
tjnamtiw said:
flynfrfun said:
Here's mine...

i think it's 2000lb including the trailer weight........

futureboiler said:
doublewide said:
maple1 said:
The terms '1/2 ton' and '1 ton' trucks are pretty misleading - a '1/2 ton' can carry a lot more than 1000 lbs, likewise with the 1 ton. We've got one of each, they've hauled more than twice the '1/2 ton' and '1 ton' quite routinely.

So, how much weight can a half-ton carry legally? I was also wondering how much a ticket would be? Anyone ever get a ticket for being overloaded? I'm sure some pellet pigs have!!

fines for overloading will make you think twice about ever doing it again.

this thread makes me laugh....my truck is better than yours, blue trucks can haul more than red trucks, my dad can beat up your dad...........

GM = government motors
Dodge = dads old dog goes everywhere
Ford - found on road dead - fix or repair daily
GMC = garage mechanics companion

BLUE trucks can haul more, 2400 lbs in the bed of my 1/2 ton 2004 chevy silverado, ( 1 ton pellets plus stove) so what im my leaf springs were completely straightend out they didn't break.

for real though, I'll never do it again i was sweating the whole way home worried about every little bump.

p.s my old man could beat up your dad

north of 60 said:
Thanks for you input BB. I forgot that the Red, White and Blue meant Perfect. Silly Me. :smirk:

Glad we got that all straightened out. :cheese:

All kidding aside, I love my brothers to the north. ;-)

I can haul 2 ton on a 2007 F-250 with no problem

man i see alot of ford pics...1 shovet,and 2 cars..its ok guys..we understand :)

AW1223 said:
I can haul 2 ton on a 2007 F-250 with no problem

That makes perfect sense. 1 ton for a 1/2 ton truck and 2 ton for a 1 ton truck.

Right?? LOL

I guess the point I was trying to make was not about how much a 1/2 ton truck can ACTUALLY haul. It is about the license plate you have on it. Is the truck registered as a 1/2 ton, which means you are legally only allowed to haul 1000 pounds or a 3/4 ton, or 1 ton, which costs you more in most states? It's the legal registration issue that will get you paying BIG FINES if you attract the attention of a cop in a town looking to make some cash (how many are not, these days?). Just saying................

Status
Not open for further replies.