How many people leave their fires unattended?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok., What is this X-10 you're talking about?
I have a security alarm and it has a smoke alarm activated that is direct wired to the fire station to respond .

I would love to be able to visually monitor my house from where-ever.
Sometimes my dog does goofy things when he gets mad at me for leaving the house, and will drag things around the house. Shoes. Coats. Pillows. If he's really mad, he'll tear something up. Had lots of "pillow carnage " this year.
Anyway, I have always worried that if he drags something combustable close to the stove...poof !
Sounds paranoid . But if you saw the pillow carnage , you'd understand.

Some people have nanny cams. I would love a dog/stove cam.

If it weren't for my dog. I wouldn't hesitate to have the stove going in my absense. I just couldn't stand it if something happened to him that I could have prevented.

It would suck to lose my house. But I think I would deal with that better than losing my dog.

That's cool, the x10.com thing. Great price. Can you get it without the blaring alarm? The alarm would scare my birds to death long before the house burned down.

24/7 here as well. When temps get below 40 (which hasn't been often here in PA as of late) I've got 2 running. There isn't even a thought about leaving. They are the furnace.

24/7 here since i moved in here 4 years ago. i don't even know what a full year of heating with the gas is like. not afraid, the stove has a thermostatic coil on the primary air, if it starts to get to hot it shuts down automatically

Dont let that give you false security, if you get a chimney fire that heat coil wont stop it. Make shure that the chimney is clean and then there are no worries. In my opinion.
Ryan

I'll second that ^^^^^^

If you pay attention to your chimney and keep it clean, you'll never get a chimney fire big enough to cause any problems. It might cost a few extra bucks to put in an easily-accessible cleanout, but worth every penny IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.