How many species in your stacks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
I scrounged with no sense of pride or dignity this summer, and I got better at it as time went on. Started ticking off the number of species, and realized that variety is the spice of life. I really like the pros and cons of each wood. Keeps it fun.

Silver Maple
Elm
Cherry
Walnut
Ash
Bitternut Hickory
Osage
Sycamore
Hackberry
Pine for the firepit

Think I can get some old Black Locust from my brother in law, and that would be pretty cool.

Would love to get my hands on some sugar maple, but don't know if I have the patience for oak. Have a neighbor planning on taking down a tulip poplar, and casting longing glances in my direction... Ugh, or so I've read.

-Lodgepole Pine which is not just for my fire pit as it heats my home :)
-Western Larch which is a deciduous conifer which is great for overnight burns and is like gold out here.
-I have a bit of Birch which rots easily if not split and covered quick and hard to find so my wife keeps on wondering why I get it when Larch is almost as good and will last for years in the stacks.
- almost half a cord of fir cause it was laying on the ground in front of my camp site and I had my chainsaw and chaps with me during hot summer weather!
-a tree of pin cherry which ive never burned before but looking forward to it (didnt smell as nice as i was expecting when it went through my splitter)
-20 split rounds or so of Apple which I cant wait to burn once it is ready to go. This will be the densest wood Ive burned so looking forward to it and wishing I had more.

Hickory,pecan,oak,wild cherry, and tulip popular. Several heart pine stumps for kindling.

Mostly ash, black walnut, cherry, some hickory and oak. Oh and a few pieces of Sassafras and dogwood

Oak,Locust,Mulberry,Osage,Maple,Ash,Beech. Greg B. It's against the law to turn down oak.:)
Once you get a few years of wood then the oak just falls into your rotation. Stack up a cord and forget it for 2 or 3 years.

Black Locust, Ash, Norway maple, another kind of unidentified maple, Oak, Cherry, Paper Birch, Pine (from 30 sandy storm trees).

Am very Blessed and fortunate that I have access to so many great hardwoods here in PA. Off the top of my head I have Ash, Oak, Hickory, Mulberry, Apple, Cherry, Dogwood, Maple, Black Locust, Oak, Beech ,Walnut and probably some others that I can't recall.

Like I said, I'm VERY fortunate to have access to these great fuelwoods :)

I have access to a lot so I am picky. The worst is red oak, then white oak and hickory.

I dont think you need patience for oak, just a good back. I agree that Variety is the Spice Of Life. I have always said that.
I also am blessed to have access to a great amount of native American species. And quite a few cultivated species as well.
Though in NY it is almost all hardwoods even though I play alot on the borders of Canada. Access to the softwoods is very limited. And sadly Ive never made a study of them like the native hardwoods in my backyard.

Red oak, white oak, hedge, shagbark, black cherry, hackberry, elm, honey locust, soft maple, cottonwood, #%^*+ willow

Oak, acacia and eucalyptus here. I can have all the pine I could ever want but I on't see the point when I get hardwood easily.

I forgot I have a cord of redwood cut, split and stacked from some stumps I cut up when we moved in to our house last summer. Redwood burns worse than pine.

Nice suspenders.

I got those Husqvarna chainsaw safety pants for $25 from my dealer. I could barely buttom them when purchased. Now I need the suspender to stop them from falling off. Retirement has been good for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Applesister
red oak, white oak, maple, cherry, walnut, white pine

At least 90% is red oak.

Silver maple
Ash
Honey Locust
Black Locust
Large leaf elm
Small leaf elm
Pin oak
Mulberry
Hedge (fence posts)
Apple (sold for smoking wood)
Russian Olive
Could be a few others that snuck in.

Lets see, roughly in order of most to least.

Red Oak >>
Black Locust ::-)
Pig Nut Hickory :cool:
White Oak >>
Cherry :)
Hard Maple >>
Scrub Oak :cool:
Soft Maple :)
Pine ;)
Red Cedar ==c
Sassafras :rolleyes:

I take what my tree guy gives me. Stacked up now I have Red oak, Pin oak, White oak, Shagbark hickory, White ash, Sycamore, Cherry, Beech, Norway maple, Black birch. Maybe a few Red maple uglies, but this is the first time in a long time that I don't have a quantity of in stock. Well over half is oak.

Locust ,oak ,maple, mulberry, apple. I've learned to turn down sweet gum . Being 2 years ahead can have multiple bennifits

I scrounged with no sense of pride or dignity this summer, and I got better at it as time went on.

LOL, all's fair in love and scrounging.

Have a neighbor planning on taking down a tulip poplar, and casting longing glances in my direction... Ugh, or so I've read.

I'd take it if it was next door. Don't have to take every last stick and from one scrounger to another you can't be too picky and you can't have enough wood.

Ash, Oak, Silver Maple, Box Elder, Aspen, Mulberry, and Walnut (?).

Nature provides me with anything dead standing or what the wind brings down . Maple, Ash , Black Cherry, Beech , cottonwood and tulip poplar for the fire pit

Bur oak
Red / American Elm
Pin Oak
Black Cherry
Siberian Elm
Box Elder
Green Ash
Small amounts of Cedar, Mulberry, Aspen, Walnut

Roughly 70% of what I cut year-round is dead Red/Black Oak,remainder is a mix of dead White/Bur Oak,Shagbark Hickory & a little Mulberry & American/White Elm.Not much Slippery/Red Elm left around here,of any size anyway.But did get a lot of that from the early '80's to mid '90's when DED was running rampant.All of this from parents 10 acre woodlot,which is about an hour to my west.

Close to 20% of my total yearly wood supply is from CL scrounges,the occasional paid tree removal job,plus a small local tree service dumps a load or two in my backyard for free at least twice a year.

Right now my stacks consist of:

Red/Black Oak
White/Bur Oak
Shagbark Hickory
Mulberry
Honey Locust
Red Elm (just a couple wheelbarrow loads found last year)
Black Cherry
Green Ash
White Pine
Apple (from 2 huge old trees I removed at local residence last September)
Eastern Red Cedar (handful of scrap left from milling in spring 2012)
Silver Maple (another small amount left)

The ONLY wood I wont cut or bring home is Ailanthus/Tree Of Hell.Nasty stinking stuff.Sure it splits easy & dries fast but is quite heavy when green & it leaves more ashes behind than anything I've ever burned.Never.Again.

The majority is white ash. However there is: green ash, mulberry, hedge, walnut, sycamore, honey locust, black locust, dogwood, white pine, cherry, sugar maple, silver maple, tulip poplar, box elder, hackberry, Hickory, pin oak & scarlet oak.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.