How much insulation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Wolf

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 13, 2008
Eastern CT
I’m about to set up my thermal storage tank. It’s going to be the standard round tank with a HPDE liner. How much insulation board should I put on the bottom? I was going to use 2”, but got to thinking that I’m going to have at least 130 degree water sitting on the basement floor for the next 20 years maybe I should have more. Going on the more is better principal I’m now thinking about 4”.

What are other people using?

Thanks
Greg H

TARM Excel 2000 on order
1200 gallons storage under construct

I'm in the middle of installing a Tarm Solo 40 with the STSS 850 gallon storage. I'm planning on putting 4 inches under my tank. It's easier to do it now then after the tank is in place and filled. You can always add insulation to the top and sides later if needed.

foamboard is about R-5 per inch of thickness. I'd go with 6" or R-30. Why not? It's a small square footage, shouldn't cost much more, and it"s a hard thing to upgrade later on.

hr

(1) How much insulation do you install on the copper pipes from the wood boiler to the storage tanks? And what type of insulation do you use and where can it be purchsed? The local plumbing store said to use this foam stuff but then a boilermaker said NO, it will give off fumes!?? I plan to run about 30 ft. from boiler to storage tanks.
(2) How do you insulate the two five hundred gallon propane tanks? I was planning on making a box out of 2" or thicker blue foam board and surround the tanks. I thought about using fibreglas batts around the tanks? Probalby OK until they get wet.

What are your other guys doing????

Thanks, Mark

frozenasset said:
(1) How much insulation do you install on the copper pipes from the wood boiler to the storage tanks? And what type of insulation do you use and where can it be purchsed? The local plumbing store said to use this foam stuff but then a boilermaker said NO, it will give off fumes!?? I plan to run about 30 ft. from boiler to storage tanks.
(2) How do you insulate the two five hundred gallon propane tanks? I was planning on making a box out of 2" or thicker blue foam board and surround the tanks. I thought about using fibreglas batts around the tanks? Probalby OK until they get wet.

What are your other guys doing????

Thanks, Mark

For hydronic pipes I use the Armacell brand. It can handle the temperatures. Often the foam "plumbing insulation" will melt to the pipe.

www.armacell.com/www/armacell/armacell.nsf/ansHTMLSeitenLookUp/USA_Frame?OpenDocument

I also use a product called Techlite. It is a melamine insulation. I use the model 878 which has a glossy PVC jacket available in many colors www.techlite.net. Great looking stuff for showcase jobs.

Or good old fashioned fiberglass pipe insulation with ripstop jacket. Readily available from most insulation companies or HVAC supply. Wear a respirator when working with it.

I used the foam box approch around my 500 gallon LP tank. Double layer of 2" for a 4" total.

1' thickness on pipe insulation is nice if you have the budget. 1/2 or 3/4" wall are options.

hr

Thanks for the reply! I'll try to locate that type insulation.
Mark

my 2 stacked 1000 gal tanks are boxed in with two layers of 2" polyiso double foil faced foam. It takes 14 days to draw both tanks down to 120* from 200* during the summer for DHW only. Next week when the tanks have cooled enough I will have the "box" filled with cellulose insulation. Maybe I'll get a few extra days between fires and my basement won't be so hot the first week after each summer burn.

I initially experimented with 6" fiberglass (R19) and was not satisfied with the 4 days of DHW i was getting from a 1000 gal tank. I removed the fiberglass and surrounded the tank with 6" of foamboard sides and bottom, and 22" of cellulose covering the top. I also filled the voids with cellulose/fiberglass and lined the inside of the box with double sided reflective bubble foil insulation. Now getting 8-9 days of usable hot water with the new insulation scheme. Regarding DHW, I heat my tank to about 170F throughout and can take it down to 110F before building a new fire. I am very pleased with this setup, but would suggest adding as much insulation as you can afford considering the temperature difference between a hot tank and the typical cold room that houses it.

Insulating my circ lines made a huge difference as well.

Attachments

• IMG_7269.JPG
    IMG_7269.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_7275.JPG
    IMG_7275.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_7279.JPG
    IMG_7279.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 449
Sizzler said:
I initially experimented with 6" fiberglass (R19) and was not satisfied with the 4 days of DHW i was getting from a 1000 gal tank. I removed the fiberglass and surrounded the tank with 6" of foamboard sides and bottom, and 22" of cellulose covering the top. I also filled the voids with cellulose/fiberglass and lined the inside of the box with double sided reflective bubble foil insulation. Now getting 8-9 days of usable hot water with the new insulation scheme. Regarding DHW, I heat my tank to about 170F throughout and can take it down to 110F before building a new fire. I am very pleased with this setup, but would suggest adding as much insulation as you can afford considering the temperature difference between a hot tank and the typical cold room that houses it.

Insulating my circ lines made a huge difference as well.

What a beautiful installation!

I agree with the insulation factor. The more the better. The loses from my tank with only 4" of foam would heat my 1800 sq. ft. shop! My radiant floors never get to run do the standby heat loss.

The boiler itself could use a better insulation package also, and the doors radiate a lot. I took some pictures of mine with an infared camera to "see" the hot spots.

hr

Status
Not open for further replies.