How much is a log splitter with a non-working motor worth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thephotohound

Apr 19, 2007
Central Massachusetts
I have a friend (of a friend) who has a log splitter that hasn't been used in years. He tried to fire the motor up last weekend and couldn't get it to fire. I haven't seen it, but let's assume that the iron is of average condition, but (for the sake of argument), it needs a new piston, hydraulic lines, and motor. What's it worth? (i.e. what would YOU pay for it?) What's the most it would cost me to get it going? Thanks!

Please keep in mind that this question is somewhat of a "how much will it take to rebuild by car" without knowing what car you have. But I will take a stab at it.

Used engine $50
New piston $250-$300
Hoses $100+ (2500 psi)
Control valve with detent $100

These are real rough numbers - but I am using them to prove a point. If you have to replace all the working parts of a splitter, you can rack up some bucks in a big hurry. Now - if the only thing you have to do is to replace an engine (or get that one working) or replace some seals on the cylinder, thats a different story.

Evaluate it closely before making a bid. If your just looking at the beam and frame, I would offer a very conservative number (like 50 or $75). If more of the unit is salvageable, the price goes up.

Photo,

I considered the same thing. I have done a cost analysis and found that it is not worth it to buy something that is in disrepair unless you specifically know its history and what is wrong with it.
I saw a splitter in disrepair on ebay and considered what it would take to bring it back to a "repeatable/safe" life and it was not worth the time and effort. I would replace the engine (no brainer) the pump, the ram, the hoses, the valve. Right there I figure I am looking at 520.

I figured it would be better to buy something new for 200-300 more and be assured that it will be dependable for some time to come.

I got mine for $50 on eBay. It had bent cylinder rod so I figured the pump and valve had to good. There was no motor or pump mount. I got A motor from harbor freight for 130. Rebuilt the cylinder 80. And 75 on misc stuff (oil,mount..) then split 4 cord of wood and then blew the seal out of the cylinder. Just finished replacing cylinder 230. So for a few more hundred I could have had
new new splitter with no worries.(But I do enjoy working on things like this) Also keep in mind if it need a new ram they can get
very price for some of larger cantilever log splitter

Jay

ThePhotoHound said:
I have a friend (of a friend) who has a log splitter that hasn't been used in years. He tried to fire the motor up last weekend and couldn't get it to fire. I haven't seen it, but let's assume that the iron is of average condition, but (for the sake of argument), it needs a new piston, hydraulic lines, and motor. What's it worth? (i.e. what would YOU pay for it?) What's the most it would cost me to get it going? Thanks!

This is something you will just have to look at. Also take photos and upload them here.

You may get lucky if the machine was just parked in operating condition...it would be even better if it was also covered.

Check the engine, does it spin over? Can you feel compression? If so, maybe a simple carb cleaning, spark plug, and air filter would get it running. Oh...and fresh fuel.

If it doesn't spin you can try to pull the plug, spray some lube oil in it and try to turn it back and forth to try to break it loose. Don't expect it to be a perfect engine though - it may very well need rings, etc.

What kind of engine is it? I'll take a used Honda over a new Briggs almost any day.

Is the ram retracted or is it extended and rusted? What about the hoses and valve?

The bottom line is that if the engine isn't running you should assume that it will need one but at the same time hope it's a simple fix.

It's all a risk though and very possibly not a risk you want to take if it needs a lot of parts and especially if you plan to pay someone else to do the work.

Kirk

It's from a friend, and they want it gone... they told me $25. I almost feel bad taking it for that, but (like everyone said) it could take $500 to get it up and running. In my case, it makes sense to take it and put a part in here, a part in there... I will continue to split 75% by hand and save this just for the tough stuff.

I decided against it... the splitter was a complete rust bucket. It was a total mongrel too. Motorcycle gas tank, lawnmower oil filter, engine looked like it was picked over... not worth it, even if it was free. I don't have time for another project.

Of course if your friends are wanting it gone, there are possibly other folks on the board that might be interested @ $25 or so... (Hint...)

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.