How much wood can be splitt in a day?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsopi

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2006
MD near DE&PA;
If I rent a splitter, and have a plan. How much wood can be splitt in a day if things go right. Ball park
numbers, is it 1-2 full cords or 3-4? I've never used one before. So have no idea how fast it can be done.

Sun up to sun down i have split 8 cords before .......................Normally i dont get that into it owning a splitter so i will take a week to split 8 cords hum dinging around about it and way too many breaks.

I would say 4+ no problem and 6 being a good goal that shouldnt be too hard. It helps to have a buddy and as you pick up and split your buddy can take the splits from there and even faster if you have someone to hand you the rounds.
3 people are about max when running a splitter and it can go really fast , but be careful too.

I do not like using a splitter because of all the handling. But for some pieces, its a necessity.

If you a physically able, I would split all the easy pieces with a maul, then rent the splitter for tough stuff. Don't try to work too fast to save a few bucks, thats when accidents happen.

Sandor said:
I do not like using a splitter because of all the handling. But for some pieces, its a necessity.

If you a physically able, I would split all the easy pieces with a maul, then rent the splitter for tough stuff. Don't try to work too fast to save a few bucks, thats when accidents happen.
Well said Be safe

That what I'm doing now splitting and stacking on days that I'm not cutting and hauling. I hit a chunk a few time if it breaks I splitt it if not push iy to the side. 60% of what I have is Sweetgum.I'm getting 1 truck load a day unless the ground is wet (15 so far). By the time I get all this wood it will 35 or so pick up loads. I'm thinking about renting the splitter when the days are long again. So it is a long term plan.

I can split about 3 (max) in a good day by hand, so with the right wood and the right splitter, you should be able to do a lot more. It would sure help to have someone stacking or otherwise keeping your work area clear.

If I have say 4 cords worth of rounds layed out in a long row I just leave the splitter attached to the Jeep and keep moving down the pile and throw the splits off to the other side. I can easily do those 4 cords in 1 on day. could probably do 6 if I had a helper. (26 ton splitter )

Tough to say without knowing the type of wood or its condition. I have done 3 in a day alone many times easily, and have struggled to complete 1 with really nasty, heavy rounds.

Human nature kicks in here you are paying for the rental and naturally want to get the most work done to justify the cost. What usually happens, is the first cord is the easiest
and also when you feel strongest. But part of the process is the planning and laying out how to go about it. naturally wood closest to the splitter is the easiest but time and energy is spent hauling farther away located rounds Most renters over do it the first hour or two. They have never done it before and no amount of gym work equals the same excersize routine.
You get pooped out and production and location /organization,makes the process slow down Eric wisely put it the stuff still has to be stacked and work area kept clean to work safetly.

You might want to wear ear protection steel toe shoes and decent leather gloves. 3 cords a day is moving over 12,000 lbs. I would think most would feel that is a decent accomplishment

Remember keep you fingers and things out of the way. Even if you only split a cord or two that's ok you just learned you own bodies tollarances and abilities or you back may act up first
Don't over due it take a few breaks

As the other said: Think about the process. If you have the space wood should be in a longish row or U shape. I just pull the splitter ahead as the work area gets congested with splits... Even if I have to skip a couple easy round. I really do not like handing over cash. I also noticed that the more experiance I get the less I need/want a big splitter. Maul and occasional wedge do most of it. Some splits geren, others in freezing weather, but most of it does split.

Carefull the occasional piece that is realy knarly and makes the splitter slow may go off like a grenade, especially if it's old dry stuff. Some peices can be returned to the woods or outdoor fire... Be safe!

ATB,

Mike P

I have to agree with that last statement. More experience the less I care about the splitter. I have run it twice this calendar year. I do most splitting by hand. Twice this year I have had the boys stacking while my daughter ran the splitter and I split by hand.
Most I ever split by hand was the first year collection wood. had a monster pile of rounds so big they would hurt to look at. I had been scroungint everyone's hurricane clean up. I would stop on the way home every night and load the back of my Cherokee, then attatch my trailer and go back out for 1, 2 or 3 more loads of wood. Wife and daughter went to Busch Gardens with the echange student and teacher who were staying with us. I was outside splitting at 7:30 AM when they left and I was still splitting when they got back after dark I think I split 2-3 cords that day. I was a bit younger then. Didn't own the 30 ton splitter yet ...just a collection of wooden handled mauls and axes.

The most I have done by hand is about 2-2.5 and was wiped out after that. Around 4 with a splitter. If you have a splitter like Maloggers you could do about 6 cord a day.

12000 bls of wood in a day does make you think. Right now I'm splitting by hand with my 10yrs stacking. Most of it's Sweetgum the big stuff is can be hard to break this is put off to the side. I may get a Ryobi splitter in the spring but for now I'm going splitt the easy stuff and leave the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.