How much wood do you burn in a normal winter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BertP

Aug 18, 2019
New Zealand
Just wondering how much wood you go through in a normal winter. I know you in the colder East and North will use a lot more, but just wondering.

I stack species separately, and pull from several different stacks over the course of a winter, so I've never gotten a precise cord count. I could keep track of how many times I re-fill the "feed stack" outside the door, but I haven't done that yet.
It's a small house, not well weatherized but in a moderate climate; I'm guessing I might burn about 1.5 cords, depending how cold the winter is. We haven't had a cold one in a few years, though..

Reactions: JimBear
So a cord of wood is 4ft x 4ft x 8ft or 128cuft. A normal winter for myself is 4 cords, This past winter was mild here, only burnt through 3 cords.

I also burn 4 cord normally
this year only 3 1/3
Always but 5 in the basement by
the furnace just in case it is a very cold winter

3 cord normally....at least that's what I shoot for. This year was pretty warm. I am right at 2 cord for this winter.

4-5.5 cord. Big, old farm house.

Just wondering how much wood you go through in a normal winter. I know you in the colder East and North will use a lot more, but just wondering.
The location is just one factor. Other factors are how well insulated and sealed the house is. How large a volume is being heated, how much sunlight gain there is, the ambient indoor temp as well as outdoor temp, the wood species burned, etc.. We use about 2.5 to 3 cords a year, while my sister's place back in NYS uses about 2 cords for a slightly larger home, in spite of being in a colder climate. This is because their place is super insulated and they have a very well insulated greenhouse (R10 glazing) that helps heat the house when it's sunny. Our house, OTOH is an old farmhouse with so so insulation and way too much glazing.

Last edited:
3-4 cords / winter, depending on how cold and windy it gets. Larger house, but pretty new with good insulation.

With two stoves, a larger house in a cold climate with high ceilings and lots of windows..... ~7 cords of pine/juniper.

Getting started on next years supply: Pine seasons quickly here during the warm dry summers

1587061286448.png

Used to burn 4 cords per winter but new windows plus a mild winter meant less than 3 burned this past winter.

2 cord -- 80% black Locust 20 % Black Birch. Location Northern Central Connecticut.

5 cords for me in Southern NH. “Winter” bleeds into Fall and Spring though. I probably burn close to 7 months out of the year

Reactions: D8Chumley
When I burned Wood I went thru 3-4 Cords. Pine and Red Fir. Switched to pellets and burning longer time now, with Blaze King King I would not do fire if overnight was 30f. Go thru 4 tons of Pellets past 2 years. All we have in E Wa State is Pine.

Attachments

• IMG_0447.JPG
    IMG_0447.JPG
    377.1 KB · Views: 216
I used to go through 5 cords of hardwood in the old smoke dragon and couldn't keep the electric baseboards from kicking in overnight. In January I installed a new EPA stove, stainless insulated liner and double wall pipe. I expect to go through 3-4 cord in a full season now, some of it softwood. The difference is night and day. Way more heat from less wood. Overnight is not a problem anymore except on the coldest, windiest nights when I don't build a quite perfect fire.

Reactions: Rhodie and Lakeside
I'll give my numbers for this year since they would apply to my current stove (an Ideal Steel from Woodstock Soapstone).

I have a 72 ft long woodshed with 8 bins in it, each bin holds around 1.5 cords of wood. I have used up two bins fully this winter and have nearly finished off a third bin that was a mix of white birch and black cherry. So for sure I have used 3 cords of wood plus with that other bin of wood I started going through I'd add another cords worth I feel like so I'm going to say just over 4 cords of wood for this particular winter, having burned full time since the week before Halloween.

My old stove was a Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim, not the pre 1992 ones (yes it's ok to cringe). I couldn't keep that stove going 24/7 so I didn't bother too. I just made fires when I got home from work and burned on weekends. Even with a non 24/7 schedule, with that stove, I used the same amount of cords per burning season (4), and possibly a bit more. Not a good stove to rely on for 24/7 heating needs. I also bought all my wood at that time since I didn't own the tools I have now so was not saving any kind of money lol!!

I live in the Madison, WI area which is considered South Central WI. Winters are cold, generally snowy with multiple times per year (usually) of going below zero degrees at night.

Reactions: Gearhead660
I am not terribly far from Woodburner bit further north and east. Mixed hardwoods 2-3 cords. house is a 1990 build with 6" side walls and decent attic insulation and all new double pained glass installed in windows beginning of 2018-19 season. still got some leaks from the undersides of 2 bay window prefab units but the nc30 heats the whole house ( high 70's) even last year when we had a couple days of -30 degs F ( that was the reading inside the garage). previous place about the same size but 1960 build was 4 cords plus , same stove both are apx 2100 sq ft ranches. Layout of the rooms has a huge effect on things.

We use about 2.5 to 3 cords a year, while my sister's place back in NYS uses about 2 cords for a slightly larger home, in spite of being in a colder climate. This is because their place is super insulated and they have a very well insulated greenhouse (R10 glazing) that helps heat the house when it's sunny. Our house, OTOH is an old farmhouse with so so insulation and way too much glazing.
The glazing would be great where you are, if only the sun would come out. ;lol

The glazing would be great where you are, if only the sun would come out. ;lol
Little you know. We are going on 3 weeks of solid sunshine, no rain.

4-5 used to be the average however I went through 7-1/2 last year and I'm at 5-1/2 so far this season. Snowing outside right now and still burning. Mix of hardwoods each season (beech, ash, birch, maple, oak, and cherry).

Mix of hardwoods each season (beech, ash, birch, maple, oak, and cherry).
That's another variable..you obviously won't burn as much when you are feeding the stove White Oak or Hickory, as you would burning soft Maple and Cherry.

King 1107. 2850 sq ft. House built 1895. Heat entire home 2019-20 winter (Oct-March 31) 3.5 cords. Black locust.

I think it’s relevant that some folks that have posted here have failed to point out that a significant portion of their heat is from a central furnace so their cord usage is only telling part of the story.

I live in the northwest of the US. We are not as cold as those east but we stay cool for longer so burn for 9 months each year.

1700 sf single story house built in 1963, 4.5 cords of Douglas fir or similar density fuel wood for 100% of our heating.

Right around 2 cords normally. Mostly oak, maple and cherry. This year, prob a cord, MAYBE 1.5. Wife works during the day and I work rotating shifts, and we only burn when someone is here. Obviously it would be more if we were home more often. I don’t mind letting the oil baseboard heat run a few times a day. Keeps things from freezing and keeps things lubed up, so to speak.

I think it’s relevant that some folks that have posted here have failed to point out that a significant portion of their heat is from a central furnace so their cord usage is only telling part of the story.

Good point. I have propane for a backup however 95% of my heating is done with firewood.

Reactions: Gearhead660