How Much Wood In A Pickup Load?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Just called a guy that advertised $35 to fill up your pickup with 16" Oak rounds. I have an F-250 with a 8' box. I think I can fit about 3/4 of a cord in there. Sounds like a good deal to me. Also said if I want to cut my own it's free. It's going to be heavy, good thing I have air springs to help out the load.

A cord is 4'x4'x8' = 128 cu ft.

Measure the truck bed: length x width x height.

Divide that number by 128 and the result is # cords the truck bed can take.

Oh yea, watch the GVWR of the truck.

Aye,
Marty

My Ford Ranger will hold a face cord, max. if the wood is stacked.

An F-250 will hold a face cord and one third of a face cord, so just shy of half a full cord. That's if the wood is just tossed into the bed. If you stack it, then you're probably closer to .75 cord, but like Marty says, watch the weight. Red oak is one of your heavier hardwoods.

Standard 8' body pickup measures app, 8' long 5' wide and 20" side height = 66.6 cubic ft or just over 1/2 cord stacked
The 3/4 ton F250 or Chevy C 2500 have two GVWs the lighter version truck and load 6600 gvw the heavy duty version is 8000 gvw
Truck with 4x4 about 4000 to 4500 lbs empty

How much wood will a pick-up hold?

$35.00 worth for sure :D

well, elk, that depends on the year of the truck and many other factors, but if its a 1999+ superduty f-250 like mine with 4x4 and ext. cab diesel, it weighs in at 7600lbs, full tank w/ me in it. i regularly have around 4,000lbs in the bed. no problems. if it's pre 1999 and post 1994 then it will be a little lighter for the same size and won't like as much weight, but as i said, that depends on too many factors to list here. btw, if he has airbags, hell be fine with as much wood as he can fit in it because the axle ratings etc are extreemly conservative, the only issue is the tire ratings, they usually don't have as much room for forgiveness.

Well, it's a 99 F-250 4X4 PSD, with Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks, and air bag springs rated at 5000 lbs. Tires can handle 3400lbs at 80 psi. I installed this stuff to help with my 3000 lb slide in truck camper, and it also helps for haulin firewood.

I stacked it tight with fresh cut White and Red Oak. I calculate 8'Lx 5.5'Wx 2.5'H= 110 cu ft. Pumped up the air bags to 60 psi and the truck was level and went down the road just fine. I'll see for sure when it's all split and stacked. I could probably get a full cord if I built some racks for the sides.

1992 K 2500 GMC 4x4 8500 gvw, plow fram attached at all times, Full length side tool boxes 4/5 plywood on back tail gate and another piece protecting the window, Tires inflated to 80 psi. I can haul a complete cord+ no problem but one feels the load However about 10 mpg

Mac Dump truck 36000 GVW 2. 5 cords stacked Izzu Pk truck 1/3 cord stacked ( same as Chevy S-10)

Todd that is a fantastic deal 3/4 cord cut for $35. At that price it may not be worth your time to cut
So 4 pickup trucks full $140 and almost 3.5 cords already cut to length. about a season's worth.
Everbody on this forum should be as lucky still splitting and stacking loadind and unloading but a real good deal

Status
Not open for further replies.