How much wood wil it hold?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kwikrp said:
How much wood will the standard bed of a pickup hold in terms of cord wood ? 1/4, 1/2, etc.

A standard long bed is 8' long, 6' wide (maybe not quite 6'?), with 1.5' gunwales. 8 x 6 x 1.5 = 72 cu ft if it's stacked level. Of course, only a moron stacks level, so I'm guessing it's somewhat more than 72 cu ft.

EDIT - I just measured the width of my bed (1999 Dodge 3500) and it is 70" wide. 8 x 5.83 x 1.5 = 69.96 cu ft.

Bigg_Redd said:
Of course, only a moron stacks level...
Moron or not, you stack only as much as the truck can carry by weight.

Who stacks wood in their pickup anyway? Most I see, they are just tossed in willy nilly. That's usually how the back window gets busted out.

LLigetfa said:
Bigg_Redd said:

Who stacks wood in their pickup anyway? Most I see, they are just tossed in willy nilly. That's usually how the back window gets busted out.
I do, If I'm traveling any distance. I stack and even fill the voids with small rounds...

LLigetfa said:
Bigg_Redd said:

I've always hauled as much wood as my truck could possibly hold. I drive like a grandpa and have never had a problem.

Also, the willy-nilly method is a waste of time.

LLigetfa said:
Bigg_Redd said:

I always stack in my truk. I've got the carrying capacity and to not stack usually means I'll have to make an extra trip. Wastes alot more time to drive back and forth than to stack it in the truck.

kenny chaos said:
To answer the original question, around here we figure one face cord (1/3cord) tossed in loosely to the top edge of the bed.
around here too.

here's a good "basic" description of sizes:
http://www.woodheat.org/firewood/cord.htm

You'll see that they say a full size (8ft bed) truck can hold 1/2 a cord either by stacking it carefully to the top of the sides, OR by throwing willy-nilly until it piles as high as the cab.

Now, if you throw willy-nilly you have a pile that is essentially the shape of a hill, and not a cube anymore, so this makes sense. Around here nobody throws it into a pile that gets quite that high, so it generally is assumed that a truck-load is unstacked in the bed, and is piled midway up the window at it's highest point. and then when stacked you get about a face-cord (or 1/3 cord), like Mr. Chaos said earlier.

sublime68charger said:
Its a dodge and he's got a jack stand under the bumper to hold it up LOL

He he,

nice looking load on that truck

here's mine,

5347330256_large.jpg

Nice flaps!!!!!! :)

OMG, don't let mayhem see that load tossed in all willy nilly!

Did a tree job yesterday. The terrain was so bad I couldn't get the dump trailer in there, so I had to take it out with just the truck. This red oak (wet) was almost two full cords, it took two trips to get all the wood. If I had tossed the wood in, it probably would have taken four trips. At 15 miles each way, it made a lot more sense to stack it neatly. I had to split (noodle) the rounds towards the base of the tree because I couldn't lift them. Here's the top part of the tree, this was very close to a cord...

Greenoakload.jpg

Nice flaps!!!!!! :)[/quote]

Thanks, Though I backed into a snow drift with da truck a week ago and bent the bracket that holds up up nice and pretty so now there hanging funny.

well its something I'll have to fix this spring.

I haul all my wood willy nilly also. Heck time I fill up the box the truck has all the weight that I want to haul on it.

though I'll stack the ATV trailers full so I can get more wood per trip with the ATV But that I can reach/stack the ATV trailer from where I am standing next to it.

sublime out.

Status
Not open for further replies.