How much..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2014
MO
Wood can you get cut and split in a day's work? I worked 6 hours today cutting and splitting. When I called it quits it didn't seem like I did much. I may have got 2.5 ricks cut and split . Granted I have a small husqvarna 435 and an 8 ton brave splitter and I was working alone so I expected to be on the slow end but it seemed like I shoulda have got more done today.

In about an hour I can split and stack a face cord. This is with rounds already bucked and splitting with my Fiskars. I keep my saw chains sharp, so I can easily buck a couple cords in an hour out of a log load. A lot of how fast you can work has to do with workflow - where the wood is, what shape it's in (fallen trees, logs, etc) and what tools you have close by. If I'm felling, limbing, and bucking it takes a lot more time.

Reactions: BenTN
I've gotten maybe 1.5 ish cord split and stacked in that amount of time by myself, with a hydro and that includes throwing it in the trailer behind the quad and hauling it to the stacks. That's working at a leisurely to mildly moderate pace. People here at my house tend to leave me alone when it comes to processing wood, so I milk it out sometimes ;)

Reactions: Fred Wright
People here at my house tend to leave me alone when it comes to processing wood, so I milk it out sometimes ;)

This is also the case at my house, but still haven't figured out if it's because they don't want to disturb me or just don't want to be put to work. I think it's the latter... ;)

Reactions: D8Chumley
Depends on a lot of factors.

Cutting tree-tops left by logging? Lot more work for the same amount of wood.

Cutting live trees? Average work

Cutting dead standing trees? Lot less work for the same amount of wood (not many limbs to trim off)

When I'm cutting dead standing Ash I can normally get started about 9 am, have a full load cut and loaded in the truck by 11:30, get home eat lunch and refill my water jug, split from 12 to ~3, stack from ~3-4:30, call it quits.

I could possibly get 2 loads in a day if I started at first light and ended at dark (1 load in my truck = .9 cords)

Normal just bumming around by myself = 1 cord split and stacked per day, from stacked rounds. My record is 7 cords in one 24 hour period, but I was hustling, and had a helper for stacking.

Biggest factor for me is size of rounds. On the occasion I can get 10" - 14" rounds, I can split 3 cords in a day without sweating it, but I'm usually working with big oak and ash rounds that suck up all my energy. A 36" round of oak at 20" length is 740 lb.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Status
Not open for further replies.