How often do you reload your insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bushels20

Feeling the Heat
May 20, 2018
OH
I’ve been kicking around the idea of purchasing a new insert with a larger fire box and longer burn times. As the family is growing and the kids are getting older, I am not around as frequently as I used to be to tend to the insert. I am wondering how often ya’ll reload your inserts (not stoves) with a fresh load of splits? Trying to weigh how much time I would really be gaining with a larger firebox. I am using a 2010 Napoleon 1101 Oakdale with a 1.7 CF firebox and an advertised 7 hour burn time. Realistically, I load the insert first thing in the morning, once at lunch, once in the afternoon, before dinner and before bed. So...4 times a day on average. Maybe getting around 4-5 hours per load (with flames and hot coals) good enough to say I’m heating the house. Once the coals lose their glow, I reload.

Is this normal? Are you guys loading less?

Before this turns into a BK rant thread, I know there is no comparison.

Reactions: moresnow
I’ve been kicking around the idea of purchasing a new insert with a larger fire box and longer burn times. As the family is growing and the kids are getting older, I am not around as frequently as I used to be to tend to the insert. I am wondering how often ya’ll reload your inserts (not stoves) with a fresh load of splits? Trying to weigh how much time I would really be gaining with a larger firebox. I am using a 2010 Napoleon 1101 Oakdale with a 1.7 CF firebox and an advertised 7 hour burn time. Realistically, I load the insert first thing in the morning, once at lunch, once in the afternoon, before dinner and before bed. So...4 times a day on average. Maybe getting around 4-5 hours per load (with flames and hot coals) good enough to say I’m heating the house. Once the coals lose their glow, I reload.

Is this normal? Are you guys loading less?

Before this turns into a BK rant thread, I know there is no comparison.

I think it also depends what species of wood you burn and how dry it is, not strictly the size of the firebox.

Fair enough. I’m burning hardwoods, mainly ash and cherry. Some oak here and there. I am burning dry/seasoned wood.

We have an insert with a 1.9 cft box. We burn oak, 15-18% MC. 2400 sqft home. Using a standing fan to circulate the air. Insert is downstairs in a raised ranch. Upstairs is a 1100 sqft capacity wood stove. All those things matter. I load the insert about 4 times each day, depending on outside temp. If it is in the 20's or lower, 5-6 times. The lady likes it very warm, another factor. How warm do you want to keep your home? 70's or 80's?

We have an insert with a 1.9 cft box. We burn oak, 15-18% MC. 2400 sqft home. Using a standing fan to circulate the air. Insert is downstairs in a raised ranch. Upstairs is a 1100 sqft capacity wood stove. All those things matter. I load the insert about 4 times each day, depending on outside temp. If it is in the 20's or lower, 5-6 times. The lady likes it very warm, another factor. How warm do you want to keep your home? 70's or 80's?

Mid 70s is usually my goal. Like you said, it depends on outside temps. My home is very well insulated in the attic and the walls are whatever would have been “normal” in 1979 in central Ohio. Like you, I load more on colder days.

I’ve not used fans to circulate air before. Aside from the ceiling fans. I am in a trilevel split (for heating purposes). The finished basement makes it 4 levels, but it’s below the stove room and enough heat moves down there, but I wouldn’t call it heated. Probably low 60s during the winter. Doesn’t get used much and the door is closed when not being used. I would be open to fan usage suggestions.

My parents insert is a lenox country line (circa 2005) its near 2.5 cuft fire box size and they get a comfortable 6-8hrs using oak, maple, ash, birch. This is usable heat, not just glowing coals with minimal output. I'm sure if they put a block off plate in with insulation on top they would be getting more out of the unit, but that's a different story all together.

With a 2.4 ft^3 insert, I generally load 3 times a day: first when I get up, second early-mid afternoon, then before bed. I can go 10 hours over night, but it's not producing much heat at the end, there's just enough coals to restart at that point.

With a 2.4 ft^3 insert, I generally load 3 times a day: first when I get up, second early-mid afternoon, then before bed. I can go 10 hours over night, but it's not producing much heat at the end, there's just enough coals to restart at that point.

I guess that brings up a good point: I too can wake up to coals in the morning that will start the next load, but at some point in the night, the insert is not heating all that well. Not sure how many hours I get of actual “heat” that is valuable, when the air is choked down (while also still burning cleanly).

I'm pretty close to Yooper with my Osburn 2400, and 3.4 cf firebox. Load in the morning, load a half load after work and load before bed. Heating a 2400 sf house with a bunch of windows.
Nearing the end of the burns in the morning and before I'm home from work the fan may or may not shutoff but the stove is down to 150 degrees and there is always enough coals for an easy relight with dry wood. Burning all Oak and sugar maple for the next three years anyways.
On the cold nights, <10 F, the wife doesn't mind that the blower shuts off for a little while cause the forced air will kick on and circulate the heat to the back corners of the house.

Lopi cape cod - 2.2cuft. I'm basically the same as Bushels. I'll even get down to 2 hour loads if i want it HOTT and want a flame show. 4 hrs I'm done with secondary combustion and left with coals and medium flames coming off what bit of non coal wood is in there. 5.5-6 hrs and I'm at cooling coals. 8 hrs and there is no glow whatsoever. I have a hard time filling the 2.2cuft as my wood is not cut for this specific firebox dimension. I can sometimes get 3 large splits in it and maybe 1 ECO Brick. Eco Bricks help with secondary but they offer very little for coaling.

Most of my burns are done east to west and my splits are too long to go N/S. I could probably get an extra hour or so if i can the wood perfectly split and cut to fit the firebox exactly.

I also think having the fan on high cools the firebox down and speeds the burn (counterintuitive seems like)

I usally run the fan on high when we go to bed. Medium when in the stove room. Low only when it's too hot in stove room or have guests over.

2x per day, every 12 hours mostly oak. On especially frigid days/nights single digits, or teens and windy, I will burn a small load of pine or other softwood to bridge between.

Lopi cape cod - 2.2cuft. I'm basically the same as Bushels. I'll even get down to 2 hour loads if i want it HOTT and want a flame show. 4 hrs I'm done with secondary combustion and left with coals and medium flames coming off what bit of non coal wood is in there. 5.5-6 hrs and I'm at cooling coals. 8 hrs and there is no glow whatsoever. I have a hard time filling the 2.2cuft as my wood is not cut for this specific firebox dimension. I can sometimes get 3 large splits in it and maybe 1 ECO Brick. Eco Bricks help with secondary but they offer very little for coaling.

Most of my burns are done east to west and my splits are too long to go N/S. I could probably get an extra hour or so if i can the wood perfectly split and cut to fit the firebox exactly.

I also think having the fan on high cools the firebox down and speeds the burn (counterintuitive seems like)

I usally run the fan on high when we go to bed. Medium when in the stove room. Low only when it's too hot in stove room or have guests over.

Yes, sounds like we are in similar boats. Except for the wood part. I make sure I cut all mine to my specs and it makes life a lot easier. I have some 12 inch splits for N/S loads and a bunch of 16 inchers for the typical E/W

If you’re in control of your wood supply, it’s worth cutting to a good size for (you). Not so much what the manual says either.

I guess that brings up a good point: I too can wake up to coals in the morning that will start the next load, but at some point in the night, the insert is not heating all that well. Not sure how many hours I get of actual “heat” that is valuable, when the air is choked down (while also still burning cleanly).

I can get heat out of it for a solid 8 hours. At 10 hours, the temp is probably hovering around 100 and the stove room is probably around 66-68. It takes a little longer to start after that length of time but it's definitely doable.

For your firebox, 4-5 hours is definitely on par and what I'd expect.

I can get heat out of it for a solid 8 hours. At 10 hours, the temp is probably hovering around 100 and the stove room is probably around 66-68. It takes a little longer to start after that length of time but it's definitely doable.

For your firebox, 4-5 hours is definitely on par and what I'd expect.

That’s very helpful. Thank you!

Reactions: Eclipse2380
I would think you'd get longer burn times by almost doubling your firebox from 1.7cuft to 3cuft. However, will it fit?

If you're really after longer burn times get a big cat insert. Blaze King Princess, Kuma Sequioa, Buck Stove,

But you already knew that. :)