How often does one change gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burd

Feeling the Heat
Feb 29, 2008
Bell bell Pa.
I'm just wondering how often does one change there door gasket.
Ive only been burning since last February and I'm noticing that I have to crank on the door handle a little bit more then I use to.
What is the average cost of a gasket and cement?
Thank Burd

Maybe your latch just needs a bit of oil. Door hinges are usually adjustable as well.

My former Onyx I had for 5 years and never had to change the gasket. My current Onyx I changed the gasket after 10 years.

If your gasket is not pliable, replace it. If there is a question of sealing, try the dollar bill trick.
Gasket generally runs $1 - $2 per ft...maybe more depnding upon the size...
A small squeeze tube of RTV silicone to adhere the gasket is less than $10

Gasket is cheap and it needs changing only as often as it requires. If smoke starts leaking or you suddenly are getting more draft than the stove requires, it is probably the gasket. On my last stove we had to change the door gasket after 8 years.

I have had mine since 06, and just noticed a problem. I will be replacing it as soon as the weather gets a little warmer.

I replace all gaskets at the beginning of each season.

I first time replaced mine, it was about 2 years old.
The current gasket has lasted about 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.