How often to clean ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChadMc

Burning Hunk
Dec 12, 2019
Bucks County PA
Got a new Regency F2400 in the fall and so far love it. At first I was cleaning the ash quite a bit. Maybe once or twice a week just leave a nice layer of ash/coals on the bricks. I went back to the dealer and they said not to empty the ash out that much. The thought is that the thick layer of ash will always hold heat during a burn cycle And put out good radiant heat. Also you won’t pack the stove with as many splits. Any thoughts on this? I’ve been trying it and it seems to be working.

I gauge when to clean out by whether I'm having trouble getting enough wood in, and by how covered the glass is getting with ash. 2 to 6 weeks is about what I can tolerate. 2wks during cold weather, where I want it full up with fuel not ash. 6wks is about the extent in spring and fall with the glass being the limiter. Over time fly ash goes airborn with pops and sparks, and sticks to the cool damp glass at startup. At some point just need to clean out and clean up again.
Also, some talk about some woods leaving more ash than others. That may be, but a lot of that could be because of how fluffy and light it is initially. Stir it around some, load some heavy splits in, and it's surprising how some of that marshmallow ash gets packed back to nothing.

I think most will say there stove runs better with a bed of ash. Mine does, but I do clean it every weekend. Reason is the ash pan will over flow if I don't. Just a mess in the ash pan box.
So why is it better. I'd say one reason is the bed of ash holds hot coals for days. There in there waiting to relight the next fire. And you will find the more you reburn the ash the less quantity it is.

I clean according to the instructions in my owner's manual, leaving 1/2" or so as stated in the manual.