How often to clean chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stegman

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2011
Sterling, MA
Need some advice about chimney cleaning. We moved into our house a year ago and had the chimney cleaned last fall before getting our woodstove installed [Jotul Castine]. We burned through the winter, using about five cords of wood we inherited with the house. Two of those cords were pretty well seasoned, the other three not so much.

My question to you: Do I need to get my chimney cleaned again this summer?

I assumed this would be something that should be done annually, but reading some other threads it looks like that's no necessarily the case. If I can save a couple of hundred bucks this year, I'd sure love to.

What is the general rule of thumb for cleaning the chimney?

Stegman said:
Need some advice about chimney cleaning. We moved into our house a year ago and had the chimney cleaned last fall before getting our woodstove installed [Jotul Castine]. We burned through the winter, using about five cords of wood we inherited with the house. Two of those cords were pretty well seasoned, the other three not so much.

My question to you: Do I need to get my chimney cleaned again this summer?

I assumed this would be something that should be done annually, but reading some other threads it looks like that's no necessarily the case. If I can save a couple of hundred bucks this year, I'd sure love to.

What is the general rule of thumb for cleaning the chimney?

This is our third year burning, I clean in August then again at the beginning of January. I also use http://www.chimneysaver.com/anti_creo_soot.html which I buy at the local hearth shop.

I clean from the bottom up.

zap

How often the chimney needs cleaning depends on your burning habits, the wood burned and other factors including the chimney materials and climate. At the least it needs to be inspected annually to determine accumulation. In time you will learn how often it needs cleaning based on the factors. But it still needs to be looked at once or twice a year.

This winter coming, will be our third winter with the wood stove. It was installed in November the first year. We burned til late April, and I had a "Professional" Chimney Sweep come out and clean the system and advise us of his findings, that following May. His report at that time was that everything was in good order, and he got a quart of soot in all, as a result of his cleaning.

Last winter we burned all season, from October to May. I'll have the same Chimney Sweep come out this month or next month and do a repeat performance.

One of my own questions will be the same............"based on what you see, are we 'good' with an annual cleaning, or should I have one done in mid-season?"

When I suggested a "mid-season" cleaning to my wife this past winter, logic won out over desire. For one thing, we had a brutal winter. That said, I wouldn't wanna ask someone to climb up on my roof, no matter HOW experienced they may be. Truth be told, I'll be no self-respecting Chimney Sweep WOULD attempt to climb a snow-covered roof unless it was absolutely necessary.

Since the wife and I follow strict rules about temps, and types of wood burned, (moisture content, included), I really didn't have much concern about excessive creosote. The wife DID let the fire smolder a couple of times (I walked her through the basics "again" after the second time it happened), and I was concerned that the level of build up might have been greater than it would have been, had there NOT been a couple of "smoldering" events.

In the end, the stove gave us the heat we needed, I didn't have a chimney fire, and all is well. I'll report in once the Chimney Sweep has come back again this summer, and tell you his observations.

-Soupy1957

By all means get it cleaned before fall. Ask the sweep to provide a full report on the amount of creosote accumulation and take pictures if possible. This will be a guideline for future.

^ What BeGreen said.

When you're getting used to it, a couple times the first year, then judge after that. I'll sweep this year, but didn't last year.

Another thing- until you have experience it's good to have a pro looking at the condition of your setup once a year or so.

BeGreen said:
......................... Ask the sweep to provide a full report on the amount of creosote accumulation and take pictures if possible............

When the Licensed "Sweep" came and did mine after our first full season of burning, I was "at work." So I left behind a paper with about 10 questions on it, asking very specific things about what he saw. He answered every question on the page.

I'd wonder if asking him to take pictures might put him "over the top" (lol). I certainly agree with BeGreen that everything you can learn about your systems condition is worth asking. Just don't know how much I can push these guys.

Having said that, this gentleman came highly recommended, and I was fully satisfied with his service, his attitude, etc.. I had confidence that he not only knew what he was doing, but also that he "cared." (And his rate was reasonable as well).

Do your homework and find one that is reputable and will give you references to prove it.

-Soupy1957

+ Whatever to what BeGreen and Brother Bart said . . . and Fossil endorsed.

Some things should not be skimped out on . . . having the chimney checked at least once to twice a year in my own opinion is one of those things . . . but be sure to get the report on how it looks from your sweep (i.e. how much ash vs. creosote there was, how thick the creosote was, etc.) . . . this will help you gauge in the future how often you should get the chimney sweeped.

The chimney needs to be cleaned as often as it requires. There is the pinch. Different folks with different installations in different climates burning different woods, etc., etc. I've always recommend that new wood burners check their chimneys monthly their first year. Gradually they will learn when it will likely need cleaning but be certain that you consider what wood you have been burning and how long that wood has had to dry before burning. If the chimney needs cleaning every couple months, okay, do it. Most folks will get to a point, usually within their first 3 years of burning, to where they have good enough fuel and good burning practices so that annually is soon enough to clean. It still does no harm to check the chimney more often. Heck, my wife checks ours 3 or 4 times every winter but we certainly don't even clean annually any more. Good stove, good wood, good results.

Very generally at least once a year, but it really depends on a lot of conditions related to the moisture content of your wood and how you burn. You should check it about once a month and sweep it if you have more than a 1/4" buildup. You may need to clean the spark arrestor screen more often than you need to sweep if it gets clogged with creosote.

Once a year in the early fall just before the first burn. Top down from the roof. You don"t want to get on the roof with hot shingles

xman23 said:
Once a year in the early fall just before the first burn. Top down from the roof. You don"t want to get on the roof with hot shingles

Good advice on not walking too much on hot shingles but I recommend more checking than that. In moving to a SS flex liner w/ vermiculite insulation I only clean 2x per year now (and that may be paranoia but it's an easy chimney to clean so why not). W/ the old chimney I HAD to clean it once per month (to maintain peace of mind) burning the same well seasoned wood on the same modern stove. The old chimney would accumulate actual 2nd stage black creostote no matter what (it wasn't much but my policy was if there was nothing in the chimney to burn there couldn't be a chimney fire). Now all I get it grey ash.

As others have mentioned it all depends on the situation but I always recommend erring on the side of caution.

A PERFECT chimney with well seasoned wood in a modern stove may not need cleaning for several year, however it MUST be checked to make that determination.

pen

First year with a questionable wood supply could have used a mid-season sweep. This year and the year before was about a cup of dusty creasote, which is pretty good considering I burned 2x as much last year (because it was easier with dry wood!).

Now is your best chance to get your grade for the season's work. Definately get it swept by someone and have them inspect the entire install. Lots of people come back after years to realize the trouble they've had all along can be traced to the original installation. Not saying that's your situation but every install is different.

I have a straight chimney, (no 90's) good draft, burn seasoned wood and part time weekend burning alows me to get away with one cleaning a year. That my situition's, every one will have there own conditions which will dictate how much cleaning they need to do.

I cleaned mine like three times last winter. It didn't really need it that much, but I felt better about performance and such that way. Mine is easy to get to, though, probably takes me 15-20 minutes to do it.

Like said previously, depends on burning styles, wood quality, and chimney setup. For a new user and/or stove I would recommend checking your chimey every month during use, maybe a little more often. Not saying you have to clean it that often, just check. Once you really know it well, you can back off as appropriate.

After five years with this stove and dry wood I am still in my habit of checking it once a month and brushing it before the season starts and on the first semi-warm day in late December or early January. I never get "just a cup" of soot out of it but the liner never has anything that you can't just wipe to bare metal with a swipe of your finger.

But you should keep an eye on it like folks have said monthly until you know how it goes with your system. And having a good sweep do it now and tell ya what they see is the first step. You probably get that central heating system serviced every year. Why should it be different with a wood burner?

Hi, I spent 26 years as a sweep, installer, and sales. First question....5 chord, how big is the house, and how well insulated? Good rule of thumb, when in doubt check it out. next rule of thumb, sweep it every two chords. Yes many of my customers went up to 4 or 5 seasons AFTER becoming really educated. I would really look at consumption, and what is built up in the flue after these 5 chords. If its pretty clean, you are allowing too much heat up the flue, and 2.5 to 3 chord might be more in line. If its really dirty clean it and try to run it with less smoke (air adjustment/moisture content)
If I am not making sense or clear enough send me a note and I'll try to explain better
roger

rogerandbridget said:
Hi, I spent 26 years as a sweep, installer, and sales. First question....5 chord, how big is the house, and how well insulated? Good rule of thumb, when in doubt check it out. next rule of thumb, sweep it every two chords. Yes many of my customers went up to 4 or 5 seasons AFTER becoming really educated. I would really look at consumption, and what is built up in the flue after these 5 chords. If its pretty clean, you are allowing too much heat up the flue, and 2.5 to 3 chord might be more in line. If its really dirty clean it and try to run it with less smoke (air adjustment/moisture content)
If I am not making sense or clear enough send me a note and I'll try to explain better
roger
Chord is a musical term. Cord is a measurement of firewood.

Stegman, the answer is simple - get your chimney cleaned as often as it needs it. That could be yearly or monthly depending of the flue, the wood and how you burn. Check it frequently if the wood is not well seasoned.

Status
Not open for further replies.