HOW to build a wood crane (wacky projects for wacky wood burners)!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tradergordo

Minister of Fire
May 31, 2006
Phoenixville, PA
gordosoft.com
Took all these pictures this morning. Because there are so many its probably easier to view this on the web page I created for the project:
http://www.gordosoft.com/woodcrane/

THE PROBLEM:I've got a wood pile out back, but its down a bit of a hill. I've got a deck. What's the best way to get the wood to my stove? Last year I hauled it around to the front or carried it up the steps. Then though the house, and over to the stove. First of all, this is a LOT of work. Second, if there is snow on the ground, its really easy to slip and fall on the hill. Third, its impossible to keep all the wood junk from getting all over the house.

THE SOLUTION?
Build a crane on the deck, and hoist the wood straight up to the window next to the stove!

Anyone done anything similar? Feedback?

-Gordo

Attachments

• woodcrane2.JPG
    woodcrane2.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,725
  • woodcrane12small.JPG
    woodcrane12small.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,566
Nice job. Smart to hoist up the entire cart -- I'm not sure I would have thought of that.

I did something similar in our last house for groceries. Mine was human-powered, but after we sold the house I noticed that the new owner added an electric winch.

It worked very well.

Attachments

• Pulley.jpg
    Pulley.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,289
  • PulleyDetail.jpg
    PulleyDetail.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,361
Great idea, gordo! The only problem is that I've never heard of the 'instructable.com' website, and now I've been on there for about an hour... my wife is going to hate you!!!!

Tradergordo,

Really clever solution to the problem. The design is clean and very useful. I would also leave the 4x4 in there as I am sure it reduces the stress in the pipe and its mount by a bunch. My hat is off to you.

Sweet, your own wood elevator.

I like it however, I am also worried about the cart banging against the siding. And if that is vinyl, then it will break real easy in the winter when it is cold.

I am also wondering about opening the window each time a need a split. That would let too much cold air in, in my opinion.

But please keep us informed on the progress and how well it all works. Chapeau for all the work and thinking.

Carpniels

PS. I have the same woodcart, but I am upgrading to Eric Johnsons model. Stay tuned.

Nice idea, Gordo. Really beautiful design and fabrication.

How do you get your wife to tend the fire? Nine easy steps:

1.) Turn off/disable the backup heat source.
2.) Show your wife how to load wood into the appliance.
3.) Leave a nice pile where she can easily get at it.
4.) Get ready for work in the morning.
5.) Kiss her goodbye and say, "If the house starts to get cold, you might want to throw some wood on the fire."
7.) Rave about how nice and comfortable the house is when you get home.
8.) When the utility bill comes, make a big deal about the fact that it's "zero."
9.) (Optional, but recommended) Suggest you spend some of the savings by taking her out to dinner.

Haha Eric, I've used ALL of those! :)

As for the cart banging the siding - I'll have to look into that, I can probably add something to protect the siding, but so far I haven't noticed it swinging much at all. As for opening the window - doesn't seem to make much difference in the indoor temp so far anyway, maybe it will when its colder. One thing you can do to reduce the number of window openings is to just empty the cart of its contents all at once (stacking the wood somewhere near the stove but not TOO close).

HI Eric, Trader,

Nice list. I used some of them, but the big one is:" Either you work on keeping the stove going all day or all the disposable income is spent on oil, so there is no money left for food, shoes, clothes, or whatever she likes best. You pick!!!!"

That has been my trick and it has worked fine.

Carpniels

NOT FOR 'SENSITIVE' EYES >. . .

Wife says: "Thanks for letting me contribute by letting me use your Baby, the new woodstove/furnaceboiler. Unfortunately, lifting that wood has me tired, so don't expect me to put out tonight. Maybe when spring gets here"

and that's if you're fortunate. If not, combines all her skills and ruins some part of your system, knowing that you will NEVER ask her to mess with the wood again! Kinda like when we wash the dishes to get them off our back, then accidentally break some valued piece of ceramic :)

Oh she could, if she wanted to.
I am a totally one person operation.
Maybe she'll put a log or two in once in a while.

[quote author="ISeeDeadBTUs" date=""]NOT FOR 'SENSITIVE' EYES >. . .

...Unfortunately, lifting that wood has me tired, so don't expect me to put out tonight."

My wife just asks "How long do you want to hump your fist?" I do the work then; trust me.

Wow, now I have seen it all. Nice going.

I can tell you are a Harbor Freight fan, by the winch, wagon, tow strap (I have the same one) and black/yellow gloves (I have the 5 pack, too).

WOW!! very nice job!!

I think I see the next step for you in that set up.... some sort of enclosure at least around the window area for those super cold days. Oh and some sort of guides for the cart to ride against. LOL Seriously very nice setup and well done.

Codeman812 said:
I think I see the next step for you in that set up.... some sort of enclosure at least around the window area for those super cold days. Oh and some sort of guides for the cart to ride against. LOL Seriously very nice setup and well done.

Yea, a pre-heated air lock chamber, haha. We'll we've been as low as 15 degrees F so far this winter, and opening the window next to the stove still isn't a big deal, doesn't seem like it impacts the indoor temp much because its not open for long. I am LOVING this system compared to all the trips I was making to the wood pile last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.