How to burn wood pellets in 2006 Auburn corn burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I could not recommend it enough. Anything to lower the workload daily always helps. Here is a few pictures of my setup. Granted I do not clean my corn besides what is blown away in my moving it from the grain wagon to the box on the side of the house. I have not had an issue so far with it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210304_074020196.jpg
    IMG_20210304_074020196.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20210304_074227010.jpg
    IMG_20210304_074227010.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20210304_073846914.jpg
    IMG_20210304_073846914.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 117
I could not recommend it enough. Anything to lower the workload daily always helps. Here is a few pictures of my setup. Granted I do not clean my corn besides what is blown away in my moving it from the grain wagon to the box on the side of the house. I have not had an issue so far with it.
Just now seeing your corn set up. WOW.
So you fill it up outside and a chute keeps the stove fed. I could never do anything quite that ambitious. At least not anytime soon. A roof that doesn't leak and a basement that doesn't flood every time it rains more than an inch are on the top of the list for construction projects.
But I just love clever, handy people and cool cost saving ideas like these. That was my goal when I bought the old Siegler oil stove 15 years ago. I was hoping to be able to run it on biodiesel. Didn't quite pan out the way I had hoped.

Reactions: Ssyko
Corn is a lot different than pellets. Corn makes 3 times the ash and it makes clinkers too. that have to be removed daily. My corn comes in 55 pound sacks or 2500 pound super sacks on skids. I mix my corn with pellets at a 3-1 ratio (mitigates the clinker issue) in 4- 30 gallon plastic trash cans sitting on a skid and I lift 4 of them up on the back deck with one of my front end loaders and take it in the house in a 5 gallon bucket and feed the stove. 4 garbage cans last me about 2 weeks on the average. I keep all my corn and pellets with the farm equipment in a large Clearspan Truss Arch building, so everything is inside out of the weather and someplace for the cats to sleep too. Unlike Tim, the corn I burn is very clean. Just Midwestern Dent Hybrid corn at about 9-10% RM.

Corn is very moisture critical. Too much and it burns poorly (and gets moldy), too little and it burns too hot.

Learned the hard way not to reinvent the wheel. Just take other people's good idea's and combine them into something that works for you. For instance to move the corn I use 4" PVC pipe and a leaf blower, got the idea from hunters filling deer feeders. Cheap and easy, just like me, except instead of being easy I am just lazy.

The always inherent issue with moving corn in plastic piping is static electricity. Corn sliding against plastic creates static electricity and it can be a 'shocking' experience. Why I handle it the way I do. The garbage cans eliminate the 'shock' aspect.