How to clean a 6" liner that's partially ovalized?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey guys. Got a new liner installed on my wood stove insert and want to sweep it myself. I bought the Soot eater for liners 5" to 9".

The instructions state to trim the lines based on the diameter of the liner. However, I'm not sure how to do that since my 6" has a section of a foot or two that is ovalized (had to fit through a tight damper area).

Im assuming if it's squished into an oval, the diameter of the oval section is somewhere around 8" wide at the max and maybe 4" wide at the minimum.

Should I just trim the soot eater attachment to around 8" and use that throughout? Err on the high side?

Appreciate anyone's advice!

Amin1992... I’m in the same position this year… I have burned one and a half seasons through a brand new 6 inch liner that was ovalized to fit through the smoke chamber of our fireplace. Just wondering what you found out?

Amin1992... I’m in the same position this year… I have burned one and a half seasons through a brand new 6 inch liner that was ovalized to fit through the smoke chamber of our fireplace. Just wondering what you found out?

Hey pal! I actually tried figuring this out this year and my liner was just installed so I haven't cleaned it yet.

I was told by others to just use a soot eater, and not trim the pieces to size. We'll see how it works, though I'm not sure what I'll be looking for haha...

Sounds like we'll be in the same boat. Let's connect next year and see how we do! Good luck

Reactions: SCNewbie