How to Clean a Rear Exhaust Properly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WeavingRoots

Oct 29, 2022
Central New York
We have a free standing Dauntless with a rear exhaust and are wondering how to properly clean the horizontal chimney. It goes directly outside and the chimney is exposed with a T. What is the easiest way to clean out the horizontal pipe? We cannot access the horizontal pipe from inside the stove bc it has a cat in the back that blocks access. Any input would be super helpful as this set up and stove are new to us. Thanks!

Can you remove the cat? Can you move the stove? Can you go up through the bottom of the T outside?

Reactions: WeavingRoots
I cap or seal the top part of the exhaust pipe (I use duct tape), open the door to the stove to prevent damaging the vacuum switch, I partially stuff my shop vac hose up the T slightly through the clean out cap opening, and turn on the shop vac. Before that I brush out the vertical pipe a few times. Fine ash will blow out of your vacuum, so be prepared for that.

You can also wiggle a flexible dryer vent brush up inside but be careful not to go too deep. If you cup your hands where the hose goes into the T around the gap, you can control how much suction is happening.

Can you remove the cat? Can you move the stove? Can you go up through the bottom of the T outside?
The problem is that there is no way to access the pipe hole form inside the stove. And it would be a nightmare to move the stove. lol. We are considering going through the T outside but don't want to push the debris into the stove. That would clog it. 🤔

The problem is that there is no way to access the pipe hole form inside the stove. And it would be a nightmare to move the stove. lol. We are considering going through the T outside but don't want to push the debris into the stove. That would clog it. 🤔
I have an Intrepid (a smaller version of the Dauntless) Just open the damper and clean the pipe. The pipe is right at the top of the stove when the damper is open you can go straight from inside the stove.

You are going to have to move the stove unless you can get access through the bypass damper