How to clean soot off of brickwork

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LONDONDERRY

May 23, 2008
New Hampshire
So have the wood, the matches, and the fireplace insert stove delivered next week. I have to prep up my fireplace and chimney for the DIY installation. First job was to sweep out the chimney which I did, what a mess. Now I want to clean the carbonized soot on the firebrick and face brick in my house. Any suggestion on what product to use to remove carbonized soot? I all so have some cracked mortor on the fire brick that needs patching as product suggestion?

Regards
Frank

Rutland makes a cleaner that works, if its minor try vinegar and water. It takes a long time!

Maybe TriSodiumPhosphate (TSP)?

I am in the same situation waiting for the insert to arrive. Last time the professionals cleaned the chimney I was outside and didn't get a close look at the tools they used to clean the fireplace inside. Do they use a metal brush or something else?

Kevin.

Status
Not open for further replies.