How to connect flue liner to Regency insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Raf_Sherb

Oct 27, 2022
Sherbrooke
Hi everyone,

Just bought a used Regency insert and a brand new 6in flexible liner. I wonder how I should connect the two together ?

The adapter that came with the liner seems a little small for the insert and can wiggle a bit. Also the hole pattern does not match the brackets of the insert.

The Regency manual says to connect the flue directly to the insert but I feel like the brackets are flimsy and would be bent quite a bit to reach the liner...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

IMG_20221103_195541.jpg IMG_20221103_195549.jpg

Hi everyone,

Just bought a used Regency insert and a brand new 6in flexible liner. I wonder how I should connect the two together ?

The adapter that came with the liner seems a little small for the insert and can wiggle a bit. Also the hole pattern does not match the brackets of the insert.

The Regency manual says to connect the flue directly to the insert but I feel like the brackets are flimsy and would be bent quite a bit to reach the liner...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

View attachment 301993 View attachment 301994
That adapter doesn't look like it fits properly at all. Is it 6" or 5.5"?

Bending tabs doesn’t bother me nor would drilling new holes in the adapter to line up with the tabs. Large gaps is the issue.

Reactions: bholler
Collar is large enough for a 6in liner, probably 7in or so.

Still the holes would not line up, and I don't think I can fit the 6,25in section in the insert..

Bending tabs doesn’t bother me nor would drilling new holes in the adapter to line up with the tabs. Large gaps is the issue.
Would you fill the holes with high temp sillicone ?

Should I hammer it in the insert ? Or what about connecting the liner directly to the insert ?

Collar is large enough for a 6in liner, probably 7in or so.

Still the holes would not line up, and I don't think I can fit the 6,25in section in the insert..
The collar in the insert is not big enough for a 7" liner. I am not talking about the flared end that accepts the liner. I am talking about the uncrimped smaller portion.

Would you fill the holes with high temp sillicone ?

Should I hammer it in the insert ? Or what about connecting the liner directly to the insert ?
No high temp silicone will burn off.

No you shouldn't hammer anything into the insert.

No you can't attach the liner directly to the insert.

You either need to modify the adapter to fit. Add flat gasket to fill the gap or get an adapter that fits properly.

In the last picture what is preventing the adapter from seating further down in the collar? (thus sealing the gaps)

In the last picture what is preventing the adapter from seating further down in the collar? (thus sealing the gaps)
Regencies have a lip on the inside the adapter is bottoming out on.

No high temp silicone will burn off.

No you shouldn't hammer anything into the insert.

No you can't attach the liner directly to the insert.

You either need to modify the adapter to fit. Add flat gasket to fill the gap or get an adapter that fits properly.
This is the regency procedure, the way I understand it is that a direct connection is acceptable ?
Screenshot_20221103_213312_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

A direct connection isnt allowed by the liner manufacturer though. Is the liner a light wall liner?
I never could find an answer about actual thickness for SBI Volki liner but I never called and asked. It wasn’t heavy. At 380$ shipped for a 25’ 6” kit…..

Reactions: Raf_Sherb
I never could find an answer about actual thickness for SBI Volki liner but I never called and asked. It wasn’t heavy. At 380$ shipped for a 25’ 6” kit…..
That is standard light wall. .005" or . 006". That means the screws would never hold in it

Reactions: Raf_Sherb and EbS-P
So you would cut it shorter to have the flared portion seal off with the insert ?

What about the adapter screw holes, just screw a self tapping screw to block the hole

View attachment 302005
Yes cut it down but if the part sliding into the stove doesn't fit well wrap it with flat gasket to make it tight. And yeah stainless self tappers in the holes will be ok. I prefer rivets though.

Much better!