How to connect insert to Liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Russn77

Jan 20, 2021
North Central Ohio
I just received my Kuma Alpine LE insert. I'm going to be installing it to my existing SS rigid liner. The liner connects to an angled piece of stove pipe. So the insert will connect to the stove pipe. The insert connection has a 6" ID. I have yet to get the insert on the hearth, but I think there will be a 7-8" distance from the insert collar to the stove pipe.

stovepipe2.JPEG stove pipe1.JPEG

Loos like it might need a15º stainless elbow to line up correctly.

I just received my Kuma Alpine LE insert. I'm going to be installing it to my existing SS rigid liner. The liner connects to an angled piece of stove pipe. So the insert will connect to the stove pipe. The insert connection has a 6" ID. I have yet to get the insert on the hearth, but I think there will be a 7-8" distance from the insert collar to the stove pipe.

View attachment 279269 View attachment 279270
Hooking rigid liners to inserts is a huge pita. If it were me I would pull it out and clean the chimney really well (it doesn't look like it was done properly) and put a section of flex liner on the bottom. Insulate the liner if it isn't done already and drop it back in.

Reactions: EbS-P
Hooking rigid liners to inserts is a huge pita. If it were me I would pull it out and clean the chimney really well (it doesn't look like it was done properly) and put a section of flex liner on the bottom. Insulate the liner if it isn't done already and drop it back in.

Thanks. The liner is insulated all the way to the top. The only part that isn't is the section of pipe and two angled sections that you see in the photo. Pulling the liner up is not an option. Couldn't I just cut a piece of stove pipe to fit and crimp the end?

Thanks. The liner is insulated all the way to the top. The only part that isn't is the section of pipe and two angled sections that you see in the photo. Pulling the liner up is not an option. Couldn't I just cut a piece of stove pipe to fit and crimp the end?
If it is stainless and it lines up properly sure. But what are the chances that pipe is going to line up perfectly with your new insert?

My installer took out the top row of firebricks and reset them further back and tipped them back to get a little more room.

If it is stainless and it lines up properly sure. But what are the chances that pipe is going to line up perfectly with your new insert?

The insert depth can be adjusted, and according to my measurements the pipe is fairly centered. It does have an inch side to side play.

Do they make stainless adjustable elbows for this application?

Do they make stainless adjustable elbows for this application?
Yes but I wouldn't use one buried in an insert application