How to Convince the Paranoid Wife the Pellet Stove Is Safe??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if overfed, it should have turned itself off if it got too hot.

not sure how the smoke happened though... that implies a loss of vacuum.

Once you start saving money and you can walk around in shorts and a t-shirt all winter, she'll come around.

if overfed, it should have turned itself off if it got too hot.

not sure how the smoke happened though... that implies a loss of vacuum.

On a Quad it will overfeed at start up. The mass burns off before it gets to hot.

This isn't Overfeed "At Temp". Within a couple minutes it burns off. Plus, its an overfeed before it lights. Not while heating. Once it lights, it goes away within a short while.

Quads and there t stats are unlike a lot of stoves. Great stoves. But need to be ran a certain way.

, if anyone has ever heard of a fire from a pellet stove incident, please post it here

sorry, missed this part of your thread, yes, there have been fires attributed to pellet stoves , but knowing what i know after 20 years in the industry (manufacturing side) i find it hard to believe in it having been the stove's fault (at least totally)

a well maintained pellet stove can be as safe as most anything out there. but its a lifestyle in a way , almost like wood burning. you have to dedicate the time to maintain it..

housefire thread
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/pellet-stove-may-have-caused-housefire.82548/

Hope you have a back up plan for when the power goes out. Infrastructure in RI sucks as National Grid has done nothing but blow much smoke with their sorry PR to improve their rotting system. Leaves are going to peak early up here north of the reservoir. And the prognosticators are drumming up fear with a nasty winter forecast ahead. Make sure you have at least 3 tons of pellets on hand. Flannel sheets and down comforters. A gas generator is also mandatory.
Be sure to bookmark this site as there are a lot of much brighter bulbs than I who will keep you pointed in the direction of goodness with ideas and support!
Welcome to the madness!

Reactions: Tdamico
Does your wife realize that the furnace or boiler also has fire in it?

Hey Scott... if they call you in few years for a maintenance call, imagine the look on her face when the gerbles jump out of the combustion motor housing!

Thank you all for great info and advice but I think I'm still going to have my work cut out for me. I just know it. Maybe I'll show her some of the responses on this thread and hope for the best. There will most likely be a few quarrels I'm sure........<> Thanks again! B-

Hope you have a back up plan for when the power goes out. Infrastructure in RI sucks as National Grid has done nothing but blow much smoke with their sorry PR to improve their rotting system. Leaves are going to peak early up here north of the reservoir. And the prognosticators are drumming up fear with a nasty winter forecast ahead. Make sure you have at least 3 tons of pellets on hand. Flannel sheets and down comforters. A gas generator is also mandatory.
Be sure to bookmark this site as there are a lot of much brighter bulbs than I who will keep you pointed in the direction of goodness with ideas and support!
Welcome to the madness!

Yep, I hear ya about National Greed. I have a UPS backup and a 6 circuit transfer switch for my generator. Probably won't be able to store 3 tons but the place i buy from is less than a mile away and they store it for me. 15 gallons of gas stored and site is bookmarked. We should be ok if we have to hunker down for a length of time. Oh, beer fridge is full to......==c

Reactions: SteveB
If you've got the beer covered you're 75% of the way there :)

Reactions: will711
It takes time! My wife was similar at first, and now she is very comfortable with it. She does basic cleanings and fills it on her own. She even starts it when I am not thinking of starting it. They get addicted to the heat...

Bill

Show her your electric bill. (or propane or oil)

This may help also.

Reactions: The Ds
have been burning a pellet stove for 10 yrs 24/7 during the cold season and have not worried about the stove. There are a lot of safety features of stoves now a days.

The first two years I always had my concerns. After years no more worries. Its safer than a wood stove because there is not chance of a chimney fire. Its safer than propane or natural gas because your house will not explode with you in it. You got smoke detectors. How bad can it be.

Now if you tell me you have a pellet stove inside a trailer than I might be concerned.

Start wearing the pants in the family ! She should have faith in your decisions and support them unless she has good reason to be otherwise.
Normally the husband is the head of the household and what he says should be the final word.

Last edited:
Start wearing the pants in the family ! She should have faith in your decisions and support them unless she has good reason to be otherwise. Normally the husband is the head of the household and what he says should be the final word.

Stated better than Ralph Kramden could have stated it!

Bill

Start wearing the pants in the family ! She should have faith in your decisions and support them unless she has good reason to be otherwise.
Normally the husband is the head of the household and what he says should be the final word.

Easier said than done my friend. Just trying to be somewhat diplomatic about the situation. We wouldn't have a pellet stove if it weren't for trust in my decisions and technical knowledge. In the end, it was a joint decision but there's a minor obstacle to overcome. Hopefully in time, we can figure it out. It's going to be a long, cold winter here so I have time to play deep freeze nazi..........;)

Some people are really visual - and this demonstration is like a bad infomercial, but it may help sell it. Put a pile of pellets on the ground and light them...they'll smolder at best.

Additionally, the fire is contained - the actual combustion gases & everything go up the flue - only hot air pours out. It's the exact same concept as a hot air furnace.

You'd leave a hot air furnace running all day, which is a fuel (gas) going through combustion and transferring the heat to air that blows through the register.

I don't know if anyone suggested it, but you could go to a dealer... Show her the stove, then have them open the door a bit, so she can watch how it shuts down. You could also buy a model that isn't scorching hot to touch.

wow, what year are we in??? it should be a joint decision, rough crowd lol
It`s 2013 and I`ve always let my wife make her own decisions. She got to choose her pots and pans, curtains, and I even allowed her to buy whatever lawnmower and snowblower she preferred to use. She even got to pick out her rototiller .

make her pay the oil bill... you pay the pellet bill. she'll change her mind

Status
Not open for further replies.